Composite, S-Video or Component ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by PeterK, Jan 18, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I just bought a panasonic home theatre I a box system and I wanted to get the best picture so I went out and bought one of those monster S-Video cable to run from them Receiver/DVD player to the TV. I swear I can't see the slighest difference from your standard composite cable. So I was thinking, one I get that new widescreen projection TV I've been thinking about is it really worth getting component cables to wire your system? They cost about $80 and I wouldn't want to blow that and not actually be able to see any difference. So whats the deal, are these cables just a big sham to suck more money out of us?

2. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

the bigger the screen gets the more you will notice. thats not to say the cable will really make the picture better as monster in my opinion isnt the best.

some people say yes it is. personally there are cables much cheaper that do just as good a job. AR is a good product and much cheaper.

3. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

Here is my opinion:

If you buy expensive cables, you will likely get high quality cables.

If you buy inexpensive cables, you may or may not get high quality cables.

For example... I have a mix of different cost cables. I purchased mid $$$ component video cables for my projector (25 foot!) and was very happy with the results. When I needed another set (for my x-box) and found I could get 25 foot component cables for $15 (claiming to be very high quality), I couldn't resist trying.

Well, the $15 component cables work great. I've run 720P an 1080i content through them and am impressed.

My process for purchasing cables is

- never purchase the most expensive
    - consider mid range if you don't want to mess around (try www.avcables.com)
    - if you are willing to try something out, go the cheap route. www.pccables.com is cheap and has impressed me. If they don't work for you, upgrade to mid range.

Obviously this is my opinion and others may have different views...

... Altan

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

We're actually dealing with 2 different questions here.

1-will component connections give a better picture than composite or S-video on an HD-capable widescreen set?

Answer: yes, only component (or DVI, available on only a few players) will carry a 480p signal. In addition, even taking progressive scan out of the equation, component will give better color rendition than S-video or composite especially on a large screen set. The different connection methods use different processing in the player and the tv, it's not just a ploy to sell more cables.

2-are expensive cables of a given type necessarily better than cheaper ones.

Answer: See Altan's post above.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Component connection is superior and offers progressive DVD and HD formats which the others don't since they are 480i interlaced only. Nowadays with high-end displays, there is little or no difference between composite and s-video since the high-end displays have excellent 3d comb filters which only operate with composite input. With s-video the separation of B/W and color signals occurs in the external device which might be inferior to the comb filter in the high-end display. So composite can be superior to s-video in somce cases. But from DVD and HD sources, component is required.

6. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Edited.