Composite input to Component output?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack*Mains, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I just got a new Yamaha 730 receiver, hooked everything up using Compsite video connectors due to the lack of an HDTV, and everyhing works fine. However, I can use the S-Video cable from my DVD player to potentially result in better video quality, but just about every other component uses composite video. I do not have video source switching on my TV, it takes priority to S-Video over composite, so hooking both up is not possible.

Is there anyway for the receiver to convert other composite sources and output them to S-video, or would be be easier to just leave everything hooked up using composite?

2. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

Some of the Yamaha's will upconvert composite to S-video. I don't know about the 730 though. Have your tried to see if it does?

If yours doesn't, you can get little adapters at Radioshack that will convert composite to s-video or vice versa. I'm not sure of the price or what this does to signal quality but I would imagine it's negligiable.

I only wish my RX-V3300 would upconvert everything to component like some of the new Denons.