What's new

Composite/Component/S-video to VGA? (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Well, instead of waiting to save up for more cash, I bought an interim projection panel that places over an overhead projector.

Thing is, it only has VGA inputs.

Are there any CHEAP cables out there that'll remedy my problem?

I want to go out from a dvd player or video game console to the panel.

thanks!

Nathan

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Nathan,

VGA is a completely different type of signal than component, svideo and composite. There is no cable that will do what you want. You'll need a scaler/upconverter/doubler (either one, take your pick) that will make the signal VGA compatible. But I doubt what you've bought can handle the resolution. Do you have ANY specs on it?

Ya know, with the amount of stuff that you've purchased you could have saved up a good bit of change by now and purchased something worth while. You should take a moment and try to learn from your mistakes (broken projector most recently). And what with your dad being an Audio/Visual engineer why don't you ever ask him for input on these things?

Not that I don't love fielding your questions. Since we ARE here to help each other out, why not ask the members opinions on purchases like these before you make them? That way I think we could save you a lot of hassle.

Regards,

Dan Hine

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
If I were you, I would Talk to your dad about this VGA conversion issue, rather than posting-

He could have explained this VGA-RGBHV situation to you in a matter of minutes... rather than waiting for us to reply!

As Dan said- if it is a VGA connection- you're not talking about only a difference in connector- but a completely digfferent signal type (RGBHV on 5 conductors vs Composite signal on one).

You would need a converter in the first place to make the signal the correct format.

In the second place- chances are 90% that this panel couldn't do 480i signal anyway. They aren't a "catch-all" display- rather are digned to sync into specific rates. Since it doesn't have a composite input-- I would say there is about a snowballs chance in hell that it can sync to NTSC video (did you ask your dad about this before buying it- he would have known that this wouldn't do NTSC).

I would test it with a PC and see if it will do 640x480.

If it can do 640x480, then your best bet would be to buy an older ISCAN unit... which would serve to convert the composie or svideo signal into a VGA tpe signal- and would scale the output up from 480i (which this panel probably cannot sync to) to 480p.

Figure a Iscan 1 could be had for $200 or so, maybe a little more. I'd bet your dad has a few at work- so just have him grab you one.

But a word of warning-- Even if you get a converted signal and proper sync rate, these little panels usually have really slow firing speeds (they are designed for text). The pixel rise time would probably make watching full motion video on one of these things a nightmare... and don't even get me started on how games would look!

And those are the good ones- most older ones only accept monochrome input!

Hey - where did you find a cheap overhead projector? I need one and I can't find any working ones under $100.

-V

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Well, I had no idea it was that complicated.. anyway Dad talked me into retracting my bid.

He won't even touch one of those things..

Hey - where did you find a cheap overhead projector? I need one and I can't find any working ones under $100.
Vince,

Go to Ebay and type in PROJECTION SYSTEM a few should pop up there..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks