Composit connection looking better then an s-video connection--am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin L K, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Am I nuts or what?!?! Here's my setup:
    I have a Dish Network 501 PVR satellite receiver,which is looped through my Sony VCR, the VCR is connected to my receiver,and the receiver's connected to my Sony Wega(27")TV using nothing but analog connections(analog audio & composit video).
    Also:
    I have the same satellite receiver connected directly to the TV via s-video cable--not looped through anything--just connected to the s-video input on the TV(I also have an optical connection to the receiver).
    This allows me to switch the video inputs on the TV back and forth between the composit connection & the s-video connection,and you know what--I SWEAR the composit looks better! Am I blind or what?? The composit connection adds a distinct shade of yellow to the picture but is sharper and more detailed, whereas the s-video connection definitely has better color balance(more natural skin tones),but is much softer and not as detailed.
    Is it a situation where a composit connection that utilizes the built-in comb filter of the TV yields a better picture then an s-video connection that bypasses the filter(which they all do as I understand it)??
    What do you guys think? [​IMG]

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Is the composite better on all channels?
    If a channel is supplying an analog NTSC video signal, the dish tuner has to have its own comb filter to make S-video which then skips the TV comb filter. On average the comb filters in tuner boxes, whether from the local cable company or with a dish, are not very good.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The Video on a DSS system is already separated.
    But unlike a DVD player, the difference between Composite & SVideo with your DSS system is channel-dependent. (I compared Cable to DSS with composite to DSS with SVideo as well [​IMG] )
    Try to use a premium station like HBO for your comparison.
    Do your A/B comparison and look at the guide. Look at the horizontal & vertical lines. You should see a reduction in dot-crawl on the SVideo feed.
    The other thing to look for is the intersecting lines of 2 large areas of different colors. With composite, the color will start to change before the intersection. With SVideo, the colors should stay consistant right up to the intersection.
    Try it and let us know.

4. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Kevin that the composite video is better than
    S-video. I connect the composite video cable directly from
    DVD player to TV and as describe by Kevin,even though the
    pictures are slightly on the warm side, they are sharp &
    detailed,citing an example of picture detail & sharpness
    'Enemy of the State' opening sequence by the river where
    Jon Voight's character was meeting the council man.I can
    only describe it as solid.
    Though S-video gives a true color balance but the details
    & sharpness are bit on the soft side.All this while my
    system uses the composite video but due to fellow enthusiasts prompting & recommendations that the S-video is
    better, loaned one from dealer to try out.Made A/B comparisons with several DVDs and decided to stick with the
    composite video. Save me some $$$.
    Just my 2 cents worth.[​IMG]

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Also, like any cable or speaker wire, a good electrical connection is most important. Unfortunately the 'S' connector is not necessarily the best. Usually with the purchase of better cables, one gets better connectors. The 'S' connector not being the ideal to start with and many times the cheaper ones do not perform as well as composite. I'm not sure what 'S' cable you are using, but it is possible that the connection may not be as tight as it could be.

6. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

I most certainly agree. S-video connectors are a bit filmsy.

One has to be careful to insert it correctly into the S-video input or damage may ocurr to the various pins on the

connector. Where as for composite,connectors are RCA type

so damage do not happen easily.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If the S-video seems less sharp than the composite video output, especially from a DVD player, try a different hopefully better S-video cable.

Also check the sharpness setting on the TV. It could be individually set for Video 1 (with the composite input) versus Video 2 (with the S_video input) versus receiving TV channels. In general you want the sharpness to be "off", unfortunately it is confusing because on some sets "off" is in the middle rather than at the left of the scale.