What's new

Composer Basil Poledouris has passed away (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Acclaimed film composer Basil Poledouris has died today after battling cancer.

He has written scores for the films Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, RoboCop, The Hunt for Red October, Starship Troopers, Flesh + Blood, and many more.

August 21, 1945 - November 8, 2006

May he rest in peace.

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator
Sad to hear; his Robocop score is one of my favorites. R.I.P Basil.

Side note: Where has Verhoven been?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the Conan the Barbarian score is one of the best ever. RIP, Mr. Poledouris.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
:frowning:

Mr. Poledouris did some WONDERFUL work - my favorites being Conan and The Hunt for Red October. I love the story of how the party scene music came about for Conan the Barbarian, how he was working on the theme and his daughter came in with her recorder, and started playing a descant (?) which REALLY made the piece work out better than he had initially conceived it to be. He was very appreciative of his daughter for doing that, and was grinning ear to ear, a very proud dad as he said it.

RIP, Basil Poledouris. I suppose you, Jerry Goldsmith, and Elmer Bernstein are putting together one heck of a soundtrack in the great beyond.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Terrible tragic news. Blackened my day. Basil Poledouris was one of my top favorite film composers. I must have listened to his magnificent Conan the Barbarian score a zillion times.

Robocop, Starship Troopers, Flesh + Blood, Big Wednesday, Quigley Down Under his Free Willy score was fantastic too, such an underrated composer. So sad.

Rest in Peace. :frowning:

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I am shocked. Poledouris has not had a lot of good oppurtunities in recent years, and I always hoped (and posted aloud on other message boards) that he would have a great comeback.

Deeply saddened.

Nkosi

Stunt Coordinator
Here is what I posted on the message board at his personal website:

Thank you Mr. Poledouris for your gift of music you shared with the world. Many a time your music has brought a smile to my face or a tear to my eye. Conan the Barbarian was my favorite of your pieces. I think without a doubt it is one of the finest film scores ever created. No question about it. May you rest in peace. God bless. And we will always remember you as your music lives on and with it your spirit.

To his family, my condolences are with you. I registered at this site just so I could pay my respects to Mr. Poledouris and relay a message of appreciation to him as well as you, his family. My prayers are with you during this tough time. Know that God is good and Basil rests safely and happily with God now, watching over us all. Blessings.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
A very sad loss to the world of film music. May he rest in peace.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Damn.

Conan is what he will be remembered for (and it rates up there in the top ten on many lists, including my own) but I always liked his score for The Hunt for Red October, bombastic, classic and memorable.....RIP Mr. Poledouris, you were taken from us far too soon.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
That makes me sad. I had really been hoping for a great comeback from him. I'm sure he had more in him, but we will always have what he was able to do.

As much as I love Conan, I think my favorite score from him was Lonesome Dove, for which he won a well-deserved Emmy.

I wish his family, friends, and fans peace.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Clicking on this thread has truly ruined my night - Starship Troopers is probably my favorite score of all time.

You will be missed, Basil.

CoreyII

Second Unit
A true loss to the world of film composers. As far as I'm concerned Poledouris Conan's theme defined Robert E Howard's hero as much as John Williams Superman score defined Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster's immortal creation.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
His score writing will be sadly missed but he has left us a few decades of classic scores that have heightened the films over the years.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
RIP Mr. Poledouris. :frowning::frowning:

His score for The Hunt for Red October remains my all time favorite, it fit the material perfectly and helped heighten the danger, classy, tense and exciting.

:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks