What's new

componet video up conversion and crossover setting, please help (1 Viewer)

Jing

Auditioning
I know this could be an old topic here, but I couldn't find any thread on this topic after a quick search.

First of all my equipment list:
34 inch Philips wide screen HD ready TV
Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver
Toshiba progressive scan DVD/VCR combo
Energy Encore 6 piece speaker system.

1)Based on my system, is it worthwhile to do a component video up conversion set up? Currently, I did a component out from DVD to my TV's HD input(AV4 ipunt, named by philips); digital coaxial out from DVD to receiver. I also ran a RCA coaxial cable out from DVD/VCR to reciever's VCR input and then "monitor out" to TV so I can use the Yamaha's on screen display function when I calibrate my system. So, if I run another component video cable to hook up my DVD and receiver then "monitor out" to TV, it will "componet up conversion" regular VCR signal to componet video quality as well? Well, someone please explain to me if this is how it supposed to work.

2) Secondly, I hook up speaker system by using the "parallel hookup" with my front left/right speakers and subwoofer, without a subwoofer cable. I read this method on the Energy review site to achieve fuller sound when playing music. I set both of my front speaker to "large". To me, it sounds much better than a convensional subwoofer cable hook up. My question is where should I set up "crossover" at? It is currently set at 80mhz. Please correct me if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advanced for all of your inputs
:)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jing. Welcome to HTF! :)

1) No, your receiver wont convert the signal from your VCR to component. There are some recievers that will do this, but they are flagship products in the $2,000 range.

You do have some options:

- Buy a device called a "IScan Pro" that will convert the VCR signal into progressive video w/component cables. Cost is about $750

2) The crossover is a bit tricky. You might want to search the "Speakers and Subwoofers" fourm for this topic.

Basically the crossover knob says "Let all the frequencies below XX go to the sub, and pass the rest onto the L/R speakers".

But the knob is not exact. If you set the knob to 80 hz, it will actually send sounds at 81, 82, .. 90 hz to your speakers, but at a lower and lower volume.

Your speakers have a frequency-response like "70-22kHZ" (I just looked this up). But in truth, they dont produce the same volume at 70 hz as they do at 80 hz or even 90 hz.

So you want to set your subwoofer to "feed" the speakers a bit ABOVE their lower limit.

Your setting of 80 hz for the crossover for L/R speakers that go down to 70 hz is quite correct. You might even go a bit higher, but no lower than that.

Hope this helps.

I just spotted this thread on Help me understand crossover that goes into more detail and could help you out.

Jing

Auditioning
Thank you so much Bob for your advices. However, Yamaha RX-V1400 does have the feature called "component video up conversion. Please refer to the product link. Well, it won't let me post the link because I haven't post more than 15 times. Here is the quote from the link, "Component video up conversion:S-video/composite signal conversion to component video signal".

Also, since I have hooked up my front mains with sub via "parallel connection", does the crossover setting somehow effected by such way of connection? Moreover, what are the difference between the "parallel connection" and the regular receiver to sub input and sub output to front mains?

Another question is about my DVD player's layer pause. When I played the newest "Tomb raider" on my Toshiba, it freezed at one chapter, where it showed a night scene of Shang Hai. I had to turn the main power off from my surge protector in order to restart the DVD player to eject the disc. It plays all the other discs fine, just wondering if it is normal for DVD player to do such thing?

Besides, any comments on my newest and first true HT setup?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks