What's new

componet switching (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Here is my dilema. I have DVD, HDTV box, XBOX, and Game Cube. All with componet outs. My tv however only has two imputs. I know some recievers have componet switching. The best I can find are ones with 2 in 1 out. Which would then alow me to use 3 of my componets but not the forth. Does anybody know of a reciever with 3 in 1 out. Or have any other suggestion. Oh and I should tell you that I cant spend 3000 on a reciever.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
A basic AV Switcher that switches Composite Video and 2 the Red and white audio channels shoudl do the job just fine...

brian a

Second Unit
There are plenty of receivers that have 3 or more component inputs out there. I think the Denon 4800s and up have 3 or 4. Several other fit that bill as well. The cheapest solution would be an external switchbox, but if you want to look at receivers that offer that functionality they are out there.

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Matt...
Here's one possibility that may help you out, but since you didn't say what price range you wanted to stay in it may be out of consideration.
Take a look at the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX. It actually upconverts EVERY video input regardless of type (composite, S-Video, Component) and sends that signal out the component video monitor out on the receiver. And since it is a THX Ultra 2 certified unit, it MUST pass HDTV bandwidth type signals with no visible signal degradation. If more interested, you can find some threads on this forum using the search utility or check out the following links:
Dedicated Forum to the VSX-49TX:
Link Removed
Official Pioneer Website:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,21018,00.html
One more note... this unit has 3 HD-capable component inputs and the one component output for hooking to your TV/projector... and this thing can be had for around $2500 at plenty of internet dealers.
Best of luck with your choice!
Later,
Jeff in Houston

David Wood

Auditioning
Because you are looking to switch HD, make sure that the switcher has sufficient bandwidth. The general rule is that the switcher should have double the bandwith of the sources being switched. For HD, you probably should not use a switcher with less than 75-100 MHz bandwidth.

Most receivers that have component switcher do not have nearly enough bandwidth for HD (or 480p for that matter). If the switcher does not have enough bandwidth, you will start to lose the high frequency information. As someone explained it to me, its like driving a truck piled high with crates under a bridge that's too low. The top row of crates doesn't make it through.

Extron makes switchers of all kinds, and ebay always has lots on auction. You don't necessarily need a component switcher. The Extron boxes that show up on ebay most often tend to be RGBS or RGBHV, but they can be used for component switching. The connectors are BNC rather than RCA, so you will need an adapter, but they're cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks