What's new

componet hookup (1 Viewer)

Junie

Agent
I have a ? about componet hook ups. I brought the cables for this and tried it. The picture was good but the color was bad and could not be adjusted. I was hooking a sony dvd to a Toshiba TV. The color codes on the back of the TV are different from the ones on the back of the DVD. So I unhooked the componet cables and used the s-viedo Jacks. I ran the s-viedo from the DVD to the TV and the picture wad fine. I hear that the componet hook up was the best and I would like to use that if possible. Also I noticed that alot of people run the s-viedo from the reciver to to the DVD and then to the TV. Is that a better way to use the s-viedo?
Thanks
PEACE!!!!! ;) :D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Running an S-video through your receiver only adds more connectors and wires to deal with. A single line to your TV is better, unless you have a second device and your TV inputs are limited.
As for the component cables, there is a chance that you have some switched. The different labeling doesn't help, but from what I have seen, each one will have the letter Y, B & R, so try to match them up first without twisting the cable, of course. :)
Glenn

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
glenn's right...the best connection you can have is a "straight" one...where the signal doesn't have to go through any other "gadgets" to get to it's final destination.

but...

i run the video signal via my receiver (for easier switching capability) and do not notice any signal degredation. i suggest you wire it both ways and see if you notice a difference.

in any case, it's totally personal preference.

i'm not sure what's up with the component cabling...it does sound like you got the wires crossed somehow.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Was the component cable bought as a set of 3 identical cables? If one of them is different length (or perhaps even a different brand) this could cause the problem.

Also, you may need to adjust the brightness/sharpness/contrast on your tv DIFFERENTLY for each type of input. The better televisions have seperate sets of adjustments for each input.

Example: Composite has it's own set of setting

SVideo has a completly different set of settings

Component has yet another set of settings

Changing one does not affect the others. So the settings for the Component input may be way off, but SVideo may be fine.

Billy Ray

Auditioning
I'm curious as to whether you may have possibly hooked into a set of composite video/audio in jacks on the back of your TV instead of the component video inputs. I say that because you mentioned that the colors of the jacks were different on the back of your TV and that you couldn't adjust the color. If you had audio cables hooked up already from DVD to TV, perhaps this was the problem and hence why it would work fine with the S-Video connection. I, of course, haven't tested this theory but it's just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks