What's new

Component (Y/PB/PR) connection question (1 Viewer)

Thom J.

Auditioning
My question concerns lip sync issues, but first here is the set-up.

I just bought a Sony WEGA KV-34XBR800 hd monitor along with a Toshiba SD-3800 dvd player. I also will be swapping out my current digital cable box for a cable box that will act as my hd tuner (as well as cable). I am using a Sony STR-DA30ES receiver.

My Receiver does not have component(Y/PB/PR)inputs or outputs.

I have run the component output cables from the dvd player to the component inputs on the tv and will do the same with the cable/hd tuner.

My question is by having the component video feeds bypass the receiver should I expect to encounter any lip sync issues? On one dvd it seemed that I had issues and other it did not. Is it necessary to run the component video feeds into receiver just like the audio.

A follow up question would be if I upgraded the receiver to one that has component inputs/outputs how high of bandwidth would be needed to properly handle the feed?

Sorry for the long post,
Thom J.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The receiver does absolutely no processing on the signal, so it has no effect whatsover on lip sync. Putting the signal through an active processor such as a line doubler will delay the video to some extent and could result in lip sync issues.

The only issue with running the video through your receiver is signal loss and signal quality. The component video sections of many receivers are not up to 1080i HDTV, but most if not all can handle 480p quite fine (Although 480p has nearly as many scanlines per second as 1080i, its horizontal resolution is only 720 pixels compared to 1920 pixels). A standard interlaced video signal requires about 6.5 MHz of bandwidth. A progressive scan version requires double that: about 13 MHz. However, note that a receiver rated at say 27 MHz component bandwidth will not do 27 MHz without signal loss. The difinition of bandwidth is the -3 dB point (half power). So those 27 MHz I/O's will result in loss of quality for a 27 MHz signal. You should go for about double the "bandwidth" that you need, so that you stay well below the point where signal loss begins to occur. So, for progressive DVD, shoot for 27 MHz or higher; for HDTV, shoot for 50 MHz or higher.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It's not necessary to use a receiver to pass component signals, and any lip-sync issues would most likely be coming from the DVD player or the disc itself. Same with HDTV. If you want to use a receiver with HD-capable switching, look for at least 35 Mhz bandwidth, 40 if possible. If your TV has enough component ins (which I think yours does), let the TV handle the signal straight from the DVD player and cable box.

There is a caveat, though: Cable and satellite use different High-def signals than over-the-air (OTA) tuned signals. I don't know of any HD cable box that can be used as a tuner for broadcast HDTV. Your cable company (Time-Warner?) will be able to tell you what HD channels they carry. Most have HD HBO and Showtime, but the network channels are all over the place. It depends on the local affiliates and their deals with the cable company. For instance, Comcast in my area gets the big 3--ABC, NBC, and CBS, plus PBS, but not WB (even though the OTA signal is digital) or UPN. Check with your provider.

Thom J.

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. I love the receiver and was not looking forward to upgrading.

The TV does have 2 sets up component inputs (one for dvd and one for hd tuner).

Thom J.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
horizontal resolution is only 720 pixels
Vertical is 720 horizontol is 480 and 1080i is 1920 vertical lines by 1080 horizontal, if it was the way you described it would be like having a full page monitor or looking at a sheet of paper instead of a movie screen.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Over in the Receivers fourm there is a thread on HD video switching. Several external, HD compatible switches are discussed. If you are currently using direct feeds to your TV and ever purchase say an XBox (which offers progressive video for it's games) you are out of inputs. These video switchers allow you to keep your beloved receiver.

Good Luck.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Vertical is 720 horizontol is 480 and 1080i is 1920 vertical lines by 1080 horizontal
No.
When you talk about resolution, you refer to the number of pixels in either orientation (either vertical or horizontal), not the number of lines orientation that are oriented that way. It is confusing, I know. Remember that technically, there are only horzontal "lines". So, DVD has a 720 pixel horizontal resolution, because there are 720 pixels on a horizontal (left to right) plane. It has a 480 pixel vertical (up & down) resolution.

You know how TV's are rated as having X lines of horizontal resolution? That refers to the number of vertical lines, alternating black and white, that can be drawn on the screen and still be distinguishable from each other. Picture this and you will realise that you measure this across the screen from left to right, not from top to bottom. That's why it is called the horizontal resolution. The vertical resoultion of all TV sets (excluding HDTV of course) is exactly the same, due to the fact that an NTSC signal has 525 scan lines, of which about 480 are used for the picture.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
my point was simply that if you had 720 horizontal lines it would be the wrong aspect, ok lets look at ATSC standards for HDTV, 480p=720vX480h pixels, 720p=1280vX720h pixels, & 1080i=1920vX1080h pixels. I understand the conept of scan lines and all was trying to simply correct someone who said that 480p produces 720 horizontal lines when it produces 480 lines and 720 pixels accross.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks