Component "Y" cable

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Mike LS, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Anyone know of a cable for merging 2 component video connections into 1 cable?

I know this is really a job for a video switch, but I'm a cheap and don't want to have to get up and flip a switch to go from A to B.

I've just gotten an Xbox 360 and want to keep the component cables for that and my original Xbox connected to my projector (all other inputs are taken) at the same time so there's no resetting to be done if I want to use the original Xbox.

With component being an analog signal, I know I could just get some cheap RCA Y cables, but I wonder if anyone makes a 2 into 1 component cable with female connectors so I can just connect them both to the main cable run to my PJ.

They'll never be run at the same time, so that's not an issue.

2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

YOu can get a fairly inexpensive auto switch. they will switch to whatever input is active. you wont even have to get up. and prob be less expensive that 3 quality y-cables....

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Use of a Y-connector cable (no switch) for video will usually degrade the picture quality, even if the piece of equipment not being used is turned off.

Signal will go up the leg not being used and reflect back down, causing ghosts in analog video and possibly preventing the decoding and processing of digital video.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I agree. You do need a switch that isolates the sources from each other.

"Mad Catz" has a mechanical switch that claims to be HD compatible for about $40.

The switches that learn IR controls start at about $60 from Radio Shack.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I agree that some signal degradation may occur using simple cable splitters, and there probably isn't a retail product available because of that very reason.

I may try it with some spare parts from Radio shack....loss of a little quality isn't a huge deal since I'm limited to 480p on my display anyway. If that doesn't work well, I'll look at a switch. I did find one with a remote that also has optical audio (would be great for Xbox) for about $50.

Thanks for the replies.