Component worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark M. Smith, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Mark M. Smith

Mark M. Smith Stunt Coordinator

I've been considering moving to component video inputs for a while however the high cost has been the main problem up until this point. Coupled with this is the worry that it won't make a significant enough difference to my set-up. Right now I'm using a 27" JVC and a Sony DVP-NS300. Being a poor college student without much in the way of income the tv and player are going to be it for a while and I don't really have much money to spend on anything, especially cables. Will component really improve picture quality significantly on this sort of setup? If so would cheaper cables be acceptable until I can upgrade or would a better quality set really make a noticable difference?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Mark the difference b/t component and S-Video is pretty evident on large sets. Its still visable on smaller sets though and often worth the cost of cables. If you're on a tight budget there's lots of affordable cables that are of decent quality. The ones most often quoted are the Acoustic Research ones. You shoudl be able to pick up a set of these for under $50. The Radio Shack golds are another decent set but I'd take the AR ones first.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

3. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

Mark,
    As the Andrew mentioned, moving from S-VID to Component is not as substantial a jump as moving from composite to S-VID was. The more revealing your set is, the better these differences show up. The differences that I notice (on my 57" widescreen) is in the colour rendition and "bleed-over". This is when you bring up the colour bar patterns, you'll notice better separation between the colours. I've never had the opportunity to see the differences on a 27" tube. My old TV only had S-VID.
    If your straped for cash, I'd say pass on the cables now. You can get a couple of DVD instead.
    Cheers!
    Mass

4. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

I can see zero difference between s-video and component with my Toshiba 50H81, which bums me out because I spent $45 for the AR Pro component cables.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

5. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I agree with the above posts. I've actually tinkered around a lot with the quality of my picture. I have a 36" HD ready tv. Here's what I've tried to get the best picture quality:
    1. ISF'd by Dennis Erskine. This set the internal color temperature to 6500K and made several other adjustments through the service menu.
    2. Used a progressive scan dvd player.
    3. Calibrated using Video Essentials & Avia DVDs.
    4. Connected through both high quality S-video and Acoustic Research Component Video Cables.
    5. Used a high definition satellite receiver - Dish HD6000.
    6. Used a DVDO Iscan line doubler.
    After all of that I can say that the ISF was well worth the money... I considered it part of the original tv purchase price to justify spending the $300!
    Calibrating the set with Video Essentials is an easy, cheap way to improve your picture quality.
    High Definition is great, but too confusing for the average family member to use. I needed to switch inputs, color controls, etc. just to watch a show.
    I did not feel the Iscan was worth the money over the internal line doubler on my tv...especially since it's only 36".
    I now use S-video for DVD, Satellite & VCR for ease of use. Hooking it up this way prevents having to scroll through video 1, video 2, etc. I don't believe I am giving up that much in overall quality. The S-Video offers a detailed, clean picture. The colors through the component video cables were richer and deeper, but I also had a softer picture.
    Save the $50 on cables to put into the sound of your system. To me, movie theater experience comes from an outstanding sound system as much as it does from the screen.
    ------------------
    DVD's
    HT Pic's

6. Mark M. Smith

Mark M. Smith Stunt Coordinator

Actually I'm currently using composite cables, not s-video.

7. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Mark - Composite to component is a HUGE step up in quality.
    Brian_J - if you can't see a difference between S Video and Component, it could mean your TV isn't adjusted properly - it was a pretty obvious difference on my TV. The color was brighter with component and there was less smear between colors.
    Composite - 1 wire with brightness and color jammed together.
    S-Video - 2 wires with brightness and color separate.
    Component - 3 wires, which basically is a balanced differential signal.
    (Bad, better, best)

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well, you'll notice a rather large difference then! composite is terrible quality, and even buying cheap component cables will better you off significantly.
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

9. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Agreed, composite is pretty awful.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, going from Composite to component will give a very visible difference...
    and you dont have to spend like $60 on them.. Buy 3 like Radio Shack gold-plated Composite video cables, they are exactly as any AR or Monster Cable, except they dont have the COMPONENT VIDEO label and their price isnt inflated...
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
    Horoscope:
    Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.