What's new

Component worth the cost? (1 Viewer)

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I've been considering moving to component video inputs for a while however the high cost has been the main problem up until this point. Coupled with this is the worry that it won't make a significant enough difference to my set-up. Right now I'm using a 27" JVC and a Sony DVP-NS300. Being a poor college student without much in the way of income the tv and player are going to be it for a while and I don't really have much money to spend on anything, especially cables. Will component really improve picture quality significantly on this sort of setup? If so would cheaper cables be acceptable until I can upgrade or would a better quality set really make a noticable difference?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Mark the difference b/t component and S-Video is pretty evident on large sets. Its still visable on smaller sets though and often worth the cost of cables. If you're on a tight budget there's lots of affordable cables that are of decent quality. The ones most often quoted are the Acoustic Research ones. You shoudl be able to pick up a set of these for under $50. The Radio Shack golds are another decent set but I'd take the AR ones first.
------------------
http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
As the Andrew mentioned, moving from S-VID to Component is not as substantial a jump as moving from composite to S-VID was. The more revealing your set is, the better these differences show up. The differences that I notice (on my 57" widescreen) is in the colour rendition and "bleed-over". This is when you bring up the colour bar patterns, you'll notice better separation between the colours. I've never had the opportunity to see the differences on a 27" tube. My old TV only had S-VID.
If your straped for cash, I'd say pass on the cables now. You can get a couple of DVD instead.
Cheers!
Mass

Brian_J

Second Unit
I can see zero difference between s-video and component with my Toshiba 50H81, which bums me out because I spent $45 for the AR Pro component cables.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I agree with the above posts. I've actually tinkered around a lot with the quality of my picture. I have a 36" HD ready tv. Here's what I've tried to get the best picture quality:
1. ISF'd by Dennis Erskine. This set the internal color temperature to 6500K and made several other adjustments through the service menu.
2. Used a progressive scan dvd player.
3. Calibrated using Video Essentials & Avia DVDs.
4. Connected through both high quality S-video and Acoustic Research Component Video Cables.
5. Used a high definition satellite receiver - Dish HD6000.
6. Used a DVDO Iscan line doubler.
After all of that I can say that the ISF was well worth the money... I considered it part of the original tv purchase price to justify spending the $300!
Calibrating the set with Video Essentials is an easy, cheap way to improve your picture quality.
High Definition is great, but too confusing for the average family member to use. I needed to switch inputs, color controls, etc. just to watch a show.
I did not feel the Iscan was worth the money over the internal line doubler on my tv...especially since it's only 36".
I now use S-video for DVD, Satellite & VCR for ease of use. Hooking it up this way prevents having to scroll through video 1, video 2, etc. I don't believe I am giving up that much in overall quality. The S-Video offers a detailed, clean picture. The colors through the component video cables were richer and deeper, but I also had a softer picture.
Save the $50 on cables to put into the sound of your system. To me, movie theater experience comes from an outstanding sound system as much as it does from the screen.
------------------
DVD's
HT Pic's

PaulKH

Second Unit
Mark - Composite to component is a HUGE step up in quality.
Brian_J - if you can't see a difference between S Video and Component, it could mean your TV isn't adjusted properly - it was a pretty obvious difference on my TV. The color was brighter with component and there was less smear between colors.
Composite - 1 wire with brightness and color jammed together.
S-Video - 2 wires with brightness and color separate.
Component - 3 wires, which basically is a balanced differential signal.
(Bad, better, best)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well, you'll notice a rather large difference then! composite is terrible quality, and even buying cheap component cables will better you off significantly.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Brian_J

Second Unit
Agreed, composite is pretty awful.
Brian_J - if you can't see a difference between S Video and Component, it could mean your TV isn't adjusted properly
No, my TV is tweaked to the nine's.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, going from Composite to component will give a very visible difference...
and you dont have to spend like $60 on them.. Buy 3 like Radio Shack gold-plated Composite video cables, they are exactly as any AR or Monster Cable, except they dont have the COMPONENT VIDEO label and their price isnt inflated...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks