What's new

Component with no cable? (1 Viewer)

scottBL

Auditioning
Hi HTBA hopefully i am in the right section If this has been asked i apologize for not searching for it so hard but i really doubt it was cause its kind of a stupid question but anyways here goes...I have basic cable tv...around 20ish channels or so...my tv(Insignia IS-TVHD30) it has component hookup and and so does my dvd player(SonyNS50p) oh and i also have a vcr (older model with no component) my question is is there a way that i can hook up component wires to my regular cable tv? i mean the picture is clear the way it is now but i know it will be much better with component than just with coaxial like it is now is there a way i could hook it up like thru the dvd player perhaps or if any of you know of some other trick on doing so..its prob not even possible without having an actually cable box..but with just basic cable i dont have one..well thank you very much for your time and hopefully i wont get the most stupid question asked award...thanks again for the help scottie

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The only way to hook cable up via the componet jacks would be if you had some sort of cable box with componet output jacks.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Check with your cable company--there are plenty of cable boxes with component outputs, although it may be that your cable company does not have them available.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Scott. Welcome to HTF!

Do you have a CATV box? Your best possible picture with an ordinary CATV box would be with a SVideo cable. This would bypass the comb-filter in your TV and reduce dot-crawl.

If you upgrade your CATV service to a HD package, then you go with component cables (or a DVI cable) to get real HD video from the CATV box.

There is no way to feed the CATV coax into your DVD player and have the video come out the component cables.

Here is one of the issues: your CATV cable is providing a 1940's television signal. If you had a television from 1950 - it would work with your basic CATV service.

Your television is designed with year 2000 technology in mind. You have to upgrade your CATV service to take advantage of the 60+ years of improvement your television now provides.

Note: I also have "basic cable", but it comes with a HD cable box that has 8 hours of High Def recording ability for about $25/month. But you have to work through the sales-pitch for some 'package' deal.

Hope this makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks