1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Component vs S-Video

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rowan_Oliver, May 27, 2005.

1. Rowan_Oliver

Rowan_Oliver Auditioning

I know that component video settings are better than s-video but how extreme is the difference? Is it highly noticable? I think I can only connect one component device and one s-video device to my future TV, and would really like to know the difference.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gabriel.H

Gabriel.H Stunt Coordinator

In my experience, going up to a higher quality video connection (in my case component to HDMI), there is a notable difference. Even when changing from s-video to component there is a noticeable change in detail and color depth. I would strongly consider using component if this is intended for dvd playback since progresive scan is not possible on s-video or lower. Also the size of your tv is a factor. These differences aren't as noticeable on a smaller tv, but on larger ones, in which the details are on a much larger scale, you would see a bigger difference.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Very noticable in favor of the Component connection even on my 32" set.

4. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

Going from S-Video to component was a much more noticeable improvement for my eyes than going from composite to S-Video was. You WILL notice the difference immediately!

5. Rowan_Oliver

Rowan_Oliver Auditioning

Thanks.

I'm thinking maybe my DVD player should be on the component connection and my SD STB should be s-video. It's a 81cm LCD screen so would there be much noticable difference on that?

I might have to upgrade to a HD STB and use DVI if the SD isn't much chop!

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

A company called Mad Catz sell a "HD Compatible" component selector switch for about $40.

By all means use SVideo for the standard-definition connection.