component vs dvi

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Travis, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Second Unit

Will I notice a loss in resolution by running 720p/1080i via component instead of DVI from the sat. I am looking to install my new Panny 900 and my 3805 has component video switching. Instead of running 2 long runs of component (DVD/360), and DVI (sat), I would like to run just a component to the pj and switch through the receiver.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I believe it is your player that is going to determine that - make sure it can pass 720p/1080i via component as quite a few that do it only do it via DVI/HDMI.

3. Travis

Travis Second Unit

Hmmm, I'm not sure on the Panny. On CRT I know it doesn't make much of a difference using DVI as it down then upconverts anyways, but I think with LCD it is better to run DVI but I am not positive. Can anyone who is familiar with the 900 chime in? I heard it does a pretty good job at upconverting. I think my Dish receiver does 720p/1080i via component.

4. timNGY

timNGY Stunt Coordinator

Composite, S-Video, and Component Video are analog. DVI and HDMI are digital. Its best to minimize any analog to digital conversions to get the best picture quality. I ran both a HDMI and component video from my Pioneer VSX-74TXVi to the Panasonic 900. I only use the HDMI for now, but ran the component video cable just in case. Didn't want to put holes in the ceiling again to run another cable.

Your best bet is to run both, in case you get the itch to upgrade receiver in the future that has HDMI switching. Most DVD players and SAT boxes will have HDMI/DVI in the future anyways. Good luck.