component vidoe to A/V recevier

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by robert_delpozo, Feb 22, 2004.

1. robert_delpozo

robert_delpozo Auditioning

Being new to HT all the connections can be confusing. I followed the Monster Diagrams for hooking up my system and all these diagrams have component video from DVD or Satellite to A/V moniter out to TV.

I noticed that I got better picture for DVD's when the cables went straight from the DVD to TV and not from the DVD to receiver back out to Tv. Is running only the audio to the A/V receiver good enough?

Looks like I bought compenent video cables I do not need, please any comments would help

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Robert. Welcome to HTF!

Just run video directly to the display is the best way to go.

But you may notice that using the system is a bit tricky. You have to keep the TV and the reciever in sync. This means you have 2 remotes to juggle. It's often easier to run audio and video through the reciever. One remote does everything.

When you run out of inputs on your TV, or the family is having trouble using your system, then ask us again. There are some "issues" with running video through your reciever.

3. robert_delpozo

Thanks for info, I will run the component straight to dislay as I noticed the picture was not as sharp via the receiver. I don't mind the 2 remotes anyway.

I ordered HD from Directv and I am running the DVI cable that came in the box. Should I replace this cable and get a better DVI since this one looks cheap or will it really matter.

4. Darren Lang

Darren Lang Extra

Robert:

Just curious but what A/V receiver do you have?

5. robert_delpozo

After going back and forth between Onkyo 601, Denon 2803 and HK 430 I went with the Denon 2803 based on recommendations on the forums.

I have not had the time yet to calibrate or tweek the system, since this past week is when I finally got the speakers.

Thanks

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The DVI cable carries a digital signal which is fairly insensitive to the cable. Yet, DVI is new and there are some issues with them. I'm afraid I dont know enough about these. You might want to post something like "Would a better DVI cable help?" in the Display fourm.