Component Vidoe Output Question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory WC, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Gregory WC

Gregory WC Auditioning

I just bought a pioneer 811 receiver and had a question about the component video output. I know I can hook up everything including the dvd player, vcr and satellite to the receiver and then use a s-video cable to run them from the receiver to the television, but i was wondering if I could run everything to the receiver and then run a component video cable from the receiver to the television using the component video output on the backside of the receiver? If I can do this won't the picture quality be alittle better running the component video cable to the t.v. then the s-video cable? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I dont believe that would work, and even if it did work no it would not improve your picture, the signal that reaches your receiver is the ebst it is going to be, converting S-video t component (if it can be done which i dont think it can) would just give you an s-video quality signal (or worse) through your component cables. most likely though your system will require you to hook up s-video outs to yuor tv

3. Gregory WC

Gregory WC Auditioning

Thanks, but what would the component video out be for then?
    I know it has component-video switching, including two inputs and one output, but why have an out if the quality wouldn't be very good?

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

The component out is for switching from the component in.

the quality will be as good as what goes in. Like i said the only thing that sould come out of the component out is whatever went into the component in's, and the same for S-video and the composite.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hook everything up to your receiver using the highest level of cable, for example, dvd player to receiver using component cable and s-video as well if you wish, vcr to receiver using composite cable (s-video if your vcr is a s-vhs), satellite using s-video etc. Then you simply connect all the inputs to your TV (composite, s-video, and component).

When you want to watch DVD you will switch your TV to the component source for example.

This is all covered in the Beginner's FAQ Primer....

Why receivers have video ins and outs

FYI, I just happen to know that the author for this topic is a great guy [​IMG]

6. Gregory WC

Gregory WC Auditioning

Hey thanks guys. Now I get to see if running the cables directly to my t.v. will provide a better picture. If I can't tell any improvement, I will run them to my receiver for convenience sake. Thanks Again Guys!!!