What's new

component video y adapter (1 Viewer)

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
Im getting high defenition through comcast soon, but the problem is that i ran out of component hookups and i dont really want to get a switcher. I have a question though. Say that i got 3 good quality y adapters. I plug each y adapter to the back of my tv and there i just went from 1 to 2 inputs. Would that work. Say have one side be the hd box and the other side be the xbox or ps2 or dvd player. Its not like they will ever be running at the same time. Could this actually work. I know it works with audio but i dont know about video. The picture will probably degrade, but enough for me to notice? Thanks. Hope you guys get what i am trying to say.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It's not a good idea.

It's not signal strength, but "Impedence Matching".

Video cables need to present a uniform 75 ohm impedence or the signals can reflect/echo within the cable. Putting a "Y" adaptor in the cable allows the source to see 2 paths: the TV and the output of the other source.

They dont make 75 ohm "Y" adaptors for just this reason.

Get a switcher. This thread on HD Video Switching will show you several options.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
the switchers are too expensive. Im just an 18 year old college kid. So the y adapter is not gonna work. I can get the cheap mad catz switcher but the problem is that it will be a pain to use, and other people use my stuff so they wont know what to do. Also if it sees 2 paths wont it usually go the shortest path and that should be the tv. I could be wrong.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
if that doesnt work is there an auto sensing switcher for around $50. All i need it to do is automatically sense the signal and switch it to that. Only has to do video nothing else. The audio i will let my receiver do.

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
You can use a Y adapter or Y cable just make sure you run one thing at a time through the adapter/cable.

Jason

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
yeah i planned on doing that. Alright so that will work fine. Cause im gonna be running 480p and 1080i through it. If i can get the switcher for around $50 I would rather do that.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
The adapter might work, although you might lose some video quality in the process, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it. Give it a try, if it doesn't work you can always return the cables or use it for something else.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
alright i will give it a try. Do you think best buy or circuit city will have ok y-cables that are 75ohm and are not overpriced like monster.

I have the same problem. Too many component outputs, only one component input (LCD projector). I thought about getting Y adapters for the same reason. Radioshack sells y adapters. Try there. If it works let us know.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
i will try it out sometime. Not until i get hd which will probably be in the next couple weeks. What i want to know is why they charge so much for a video switcher. I bet you it costs them $2 to make the item and then they charge you $100 for it. It's outrageous.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Some people have bought the mechanical L/R/Video switch from Radio Shack for about $40 and it seems to work fine for people on a budget.

First, the switcher has to be designed with the 100 Mhz bandwidth in mind. Laying out the connectors and circuit traces to avoid cross-talk and provide a high degree of isolation for each of the sources is not a trivial task. (we are not talking about simple DC voltage and a relay switch here) The parts all have to be somewhat precision, not the generic audio stuff. There is also power requirements because the switching is electronic, not mechanical.

The more expensive units also offer:

- Coaxial & Optical digital inputs for every source
- Convert all digital inputs to a single coaxial & optical output
- Remote Control sensors that you can teach it to switch to Input "X" whenever you see this IR signal.

Last time I looked, the cheapest receiver that offered 3 component inputs ran about $2300. The $160 for one of these high-end switchers is a much better value.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
i dont need it to do all of that. All i need it to do is switch video. I dont need it to learn IR codes just need it to sense a signal and switch it to that. No audio is needed. If anyone knows of one for around $50 please tell me.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
i saw that but its a manual one. Other people that use my equipment arent going to like that and im gonna hate manually switching it also. I want one that would do it automatically. Is there one for a cheap price. If not i might have to try the y-adapter. I dont think there will be any noticeable difference.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
I think i solved the problem easily. Im just gonna put the ps2 on svideo so then i will have an extra component hookup open. How much a difference will there really be going from component to svideo on the ps2. Most games are 480i so it shouldnt be that bad right? My tv is the sony kp-43ht20. Thanks everyone.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
S-Video is a good choice, but I don't see where the Y Adapter would have a problem. I would pick up some cheap adapaters that will cost u maybe $5 and see if it works.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
we will see what happens. I will make my choice sometime. Best Buy has the svideo cable for the ps2 for like $9. I dont believe in difference in cables. copper is copper. They will work fine for me. I might use the y-splitter. Im gonna wait until i get the hd.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Yes... and at the same level Asphalt is Asphalt. But try driving at 80 mph on all roads covered with Asphalt.

Cables are designed for different speeds, just like roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks