What's new

Component Video with Reciever (1 Viewer)

JarodJSchultz

Auditioning
I'm learning a lot from this forum and doing a lot of searching but I would like some advice on this. My current Sony KP-53V90 TV has 1 component video input but has 2 s-video inputs. Currently my Sony DVP-S330 DVD player and my Dish-Network 501 receiver use both s-video inputs because neither one does the component video output. Currently I'm very happy with the picture quality. I'm getting a new receiver that will have the component video output. Is it worth it to send the DVD and Satellite receiver, using the s-video, to the new receiver and than run the component video output to the TV? Will the picture quality really be that much better or should I just keep with what I'm doing now?

Thanks Again for you Help, Jarod

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Quote:
Is it worth it to send the DVD and Satellite receiver, using the s-video, to the new receiver and than run the component video output to the TV?
At least with most receivers, it won't work. Typically, component video switching in a receiver lets you switch among sources connected via component. Most receivers won't convert composite or S-video sources to component format.

IMO, there's little point in using a component pathway from a DVD player that doesn't have a component output. The signal has already been degraded (minimally, but still to some degree) by being passed through the S-video output. You can't then improve the signal by reconverting it.

If you want the full advantage of a component connection, you'll need to replace your DVD player.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks