Component video wall face plates..good or bad?

Kim-L

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
I haven't seen this discussed on any threads i've looked through, if it has please forgive me and post a link to it.

We're in the mist of redoing our family room, I'm putting in a recessed media rack and running all the wires behind the walls. Anyway, to make the wife happy I was going to use face plates with binding posts for the speaker wiress, and she wanted to know why we couldn't do the same for the component leads for the dvd and xbox. I looked on line and found several compnent video face plates, but I was just wondering if/and how much would the picture quality suffer?

Thanks,

Phil

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
This is a bad idea. Most RCA connectors are NOT designed for the 75 ohm impedence that video cables need. They are barely acceptable for Standard Def video and horrible for HD video.

Professional gear uses "BNC" connectors that maintain the impedence. Even the common-as-dirt "F" connector is superior to RCA plugs.

My advice: Pull enough cable to create un-broken video cable runs. Buy blank wall-plates and drill your own holes for a custom look. You can always cut them off later and install face-plates if you really want.

Ram Electronics has wall-plates: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/h...ring.html#comp

But I would use the BNC plates for HD video:

I would contact www.bluejeanscables.com for component cables that have BNC on one end and RCA on the other to mate with these wall plates.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
Phil,

Typically your wiring is going to come out of the wall behind the equipment rack and as such will be totally hidden from view. If that’s the case, I see no good reason to use any kind of wall connectors, including for the speaker wire.

Regards,
Wayne

Kim-L

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to take Bob's advice and go with drilling wholes in a blank face plate. Just found out that Lowe's sells a plastic grommet for this.

As far as the speaker wires go, my wife didn't like the look of speaker wire coming through a blank wall plate. So now I'm trying to convince to go with in wall speakers, as I've read about them here and a few other places.

Thanks,

Phil

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Well... SAF does need to be respected (SAF - Spousal Acceptance Factor)

You wont loose any quality with wall-plates for speaker wires like you would with video signals. But it does expose copper wire that will oxidize and give you a friction-fit connection that is NOT the most secure/reliable.

Most spouses prefer in-wall speakers and they are probably the reason companies like Bose are in business. I even read a review of some new in-ceiling speakers that when powered up - the tweeters swing out to point at the seats to give better sound focus, but they swing back up when the power goes off to hide their presence. The reviewer even said they sounded good - but the 'cool' factor was what impressed him.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiev7385