Component Video vs. S-Video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Taylor, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Eric Taylor

Eric Taylor Agent

Oct 4, 2001
    Okay guys...I know this has probably been asked a million times so sorry if it has. But which is better to hook your dvd player up with really? Does it really matter? I finally got me a 32" JVC television which has both and was just wondering if I should get the cables to hook it up through the Component video. Thanks.
  2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Oct 3, 2001
  3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Jul 2, 2000
    Nick So
    Eric, since you're new, i wont spaz out on you... but check the posts first, i remember there was at least ONE thread about exactly this like active yesterday, or check out the search function on the forum. Here is my explanation of the two and which is better.
    1. Component is always better than Svideo, so if you can, why not spend a bit or dig up some old composite video cables...
    2. Well, depends on what you want.. if you want a slightly better image, then yeah it matters... if you dont care, then no... simple as that
    3. Just go and get 3 shielded Composite Video Cables (maybe some like radioshack gold-plated video cables), and use those as component interconnects... its the same thing as a 'Component cable', just less expensive...
    Here is my easy-to-understand analogy of different video connections.
    Imagine that you have 3 different colors of Play-Dough clay. A green one, a blue one and a red one. Each represents the colors in the video that has to be carried.
    1. Imagine all three colors of VIDEO playdough PLUS two colors of AUDIO playdough were squished through a thin RF Connection. Everything into one tube. At the end, all the different colors of playdough are all mixed up. Mixed up = Bad Video/Audio.
    2. Imagine that all three colors of video playdough is squished through one thin tube. A COMPOSITE tube. This doesnt carry any audio. So you squish only three colors of playdough through the one tube. At the end, its not as mushed up and mixed together as RF, but its still pretty hard to seperate the colors since its all stuck together.
    3. Now imagine instead of three colors, you also have black and white, which controls the brightness/dullness of the playdough at the end. You pass the colors through one tube, and pass the black and white through the other. This is an example of an SVIDEO CONNECTION. Now your colors will still be kinda mixed, but then the colors will not be blended and all out of place because the black and white information takes care of all that. At the end, its still kinda stuck, but much easier to seperate the three colors, compared to composite.
    4. Now the component video. Imagine you have three colors, and three tubes. One color per tube. At the end, when they all come out, voila! all three colors are totally sperate, and easy to tell the difference, compared to the mushed up ball of playdough in the RF, this is clean and seperate. Because the colors have so much room for it in one tube, at the end there is little change in the signal, thus creating the best video out of the three...
    There... [​IMG] Welcome to the forum
    The So Family Home Theater!
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine