Component Video up-conversion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Davin D, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Davin D

Davin D Agent

I'm considering getting a new receiver and was thinking about getting one with component up-conversion so that I can switch my LD player through the receiver. I'm not sure I buy into any improvement in video but I'm worried about actually degrading the video. Any thoughts?

2. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I keep taling about Marantz all the time, but here it goes. I have seen the Marantz SR7400 in action converting the video. It doesn't look worse, but I didn't think it looked better either, I'd say it stayed about the same, which I guess is good.

3. Brent Moonen

Brent Moonen Extra

I have the Denon 3803 and it seems to do a fine job of upconverting. I run most of my sources (DirectTV, VCR, etc.) into it using S-Video and it connects to my Philips HDTV using component. The PQ seems to be just fine in my opinon. I wouldn't say better, but I certainly don't notice any degradation.

Good luck!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It won't look better at all. The resulting signal is only as good as what is being sent from the source. If the source is sending a composite or s-video signal, then you will not IMPROVE the signal to a new level of quality, but rather just change it to the other type of connection.

5. Davin D

Davin D Agent

Thanks john,

I pretty much thought that as well. I have heard some people say, however, that it can degrade the picture. That's my real question.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My Rotel upconverts and I haven't noticed any image problems even on my projector

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    On some of the first receivers to do the upconvert, I think there were issues, Marantz comes to mind, where they had some problems with the boards. I think you are safe with more recent units from most manufacturers though.