Component video to HDTV problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Curt R, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Curt R

Curt R Auditioning

I have a new Hitachi 32" HDTV monitor (32UDX10S). When I hook up my RCA RC5240P DVD player using component video out, using Monster Video 3 cables, to the component video in (input 2) on the back of the TV, I don't get any connection when I select video input 2. I have tried using the on-screen menu component set, which tells me to "set component signal & switch to video 2", which I select. When I connect the S-video out from the DVD player to the S-video in on the TV
    (input 1) the DVD player works fine. Do I have a problem with this particular DVD player connecting by component cables because it is a HDTV?

2. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

When change the input to Video 2 (component input) what do you get? Is it simply black?

Have you double checked the cables to make sure the Y, Pb, and Pr cables are correctly connected to the TV and DVD?

Have you used this DVD player with a component connection to another TV? You might want to check a different TV, borrow a buddy's DVD player, and maybe even try a different set of component cables.

I've got the same set and love it, and hopefully you will too once you can get your DVD player up and running!

3. Curt R

Curt R Auditioning

Thanks Jon. Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread. Everything's working fine. I simply had to set my DVD player to use the component out setting. Now I'm wondering if I need to get a progressive scan DVD player to get the most out of my HDTV.

4. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i would spend the extra money and get a prog scan dvd player myself.