Component video switching-please explain

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matthew Anderson, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    I have the Outlaw 950 and my dvd player is currently connected directly to my tv via an svideo cable. I will be getting a HD tv that accepts component cables but I don't really understand what component video switching is all about.
    I plan on just connecting my new component cable directly to my tv from the dvd player. What are the benefits of going through the preamp? I will also have my satellite receiver connected directly to my tv via svideo but will be using composite as well through the preamp so I can record. I can still get OSD through my monitor out on the 950 so I don't see the need to spend money on extra cables. Thanks for any input.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There isn't any good reason to go through the pre-amp, excpet if you have more sources with component, than inputs on your TV, or if you want to hit fewer buttons when switching sources, so your preo/pro will switch the audio and video at the same time.

Purists would probably go directly to the set if possible anyway.

3. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson
    Thanks Chris for your input. That helps me understand this better.

4. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

.Even though your TV has enough inputs, switching with your pre-pro means you won't have to calibrate for each source.My TV was calibrated with with my DVD,when I added a HD tuner I had to calibrate it's input too. If my pre-pro had component video switching I would use it. By the way ,how do you like your Outlaw,i've been wanting one myself.

5. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson
    Joe,
    Thanks for the response. I would have to get a tv that allows your to save the settings for each input but the the two tvs I am considering dont't allow for this.

I really like my Outlaw 950. It handles everything very well. Very highly recommended.