Component Video Switching for Dummies...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Vic_P, May 31, 2003.

1. Vic_P

Vic_P Agent

Hey guys,

Can someone put that into something I can understand?! [​IMG] I am considering a new receiver and based on your feedback (thanks!) I am now considering stepping up to get CVS capabilities. I have an x-box, dvd player, and Toshiba widescreen HDTV. I will be running Polk RM6005's.

I'm not sure what the term means or what it's practical purpose is. If you can help, that will aid my decision making process.

Thanks!

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Are you asking what component video switching is? It's just an extension of the receiver's ability to switch video sources (composite, svid) to component video.

3. Vic_P

Vic_P Agent

Yea, I'm asking what it means. You say that it allows video sources to switch to component video. What does that mean exactly?

4. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

It means if your tv has one component input and you have two component devices (hdtv box & progressive scan dvd) you would need a switcher. Plug them into the receiver and it will switch them for you instead of manually having to unplug and plug the component video into the back of the tv every time you want to use it. A receiver's video switching capabilities basically expands the inputs on your television. Sorry if that was confusing, but sometimes the easiest concepts are the hardest to explain.

5. Vic_P

Vic_P Agent

Thanks guys, that helps! I can see whay that would be a useful option. I think I'll opt for the Onkyo 601 rather than the HK225

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Are you using a component connection for any of your existing equipment?

M.

7. Vic_P

Vic_P Agent

Well, not really. This is a brand new setup. I don't have anything connected together yet. As a matter of fact, the speakers are still in their boxes. I'm waiting to get the receiver then set everything up. Will the CVS be useful for a beginner? How will I set it up?

8. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

It would only be useful in your case if your TV only has one component in and you want to connect both the xbox and dvd to the television so you don't have to get up, but most tvs seem to have two, so you probably won't make use of it unless you get something else that uses component. It is best to hook sources straight to the television so that there is less chance of signal degradation.