Component Video Switch for only 2 inputs? [i dont need 5 inputs]

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Den*G, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Den*G

Den*G Auditioning

I dont want to spend $80-$130 for a Component Video Switch box for only 2 machines (my PS2 & Panny DMR-E80H) but all I seem to find are boxes for 4 or more machines.
    does anyone know of a Component Video Switch box for just 2 inputs?

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

This question is asked repeatedly.

Go get the radio shack Audio video switch for $20. It is for composite video and left/right stereo connections, but it is a mechanical switch with an unlimited bandwidth. Just plug your three component lines into the video and audio RCA connections on the switcher. Supposedly, you should put the Y (green) cable into the video connection, since the Y line carries the full horizontal resolution, and has a higher bandwidth requirment.

I use this for both dvd and high definition and there is NO degradation when compared to a straight component connection. Just don't get the switch with the electronic switching. It does not work.

you can see the switch
    here

3. Den*G

Den*G Auditioning

thanks. i was reading elsewhere that you couldnt do this because of the bandwidth issue, but since you say it is unlimited... that shoots that issue down [​IMG]

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. Den*G

Den*G Auditioning

thanks for the added info. now i am a little worried about getting the radio shack.
    i wouldn't mind just finding a "component specific" switch box for like $30-40, but $80-$125 (with 3-5 inputs) for just two machines isn't worth it. it definitely doesn't have anything to do with budget restraints.
    i dont see myself getting any other "machine" that would use a 3rd component input (and definitely not a 4th or 5th) so a simple 2-input switch is all i need.
    i also dont care about a "remote controlled" switch box, as i dont see a problem with getting up once and a while [​IMG]
    oh well. i think i will hold off on the RS until it seems like there is just no other choice.

6. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

You don't need to worry, it's not like it would blow up you system, just give you a crappy picture. If you don't like it, take it back to RS and get your 20 bucks back.

Budget isn't an issue with me, I just think that this area of the HT world is full of snake oil salesman. I have homemade component and svideo cables, and a $20 switch. I would be willing to bet my house that no one could tell the difference if I did an a/b switch between my stuff and $10,000 dollars worth of cables and electronic switches.

7. Den*G

Den*G Auditioning

well then... now i feel like getting the RS box [​IMG]
    thanks!