Component Video Selectors? Do they exist?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Toterhi, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Thomas Toterhi

Thomas Toterhi Auditioning

So I've been going crazy looking for something that will let me input 2 component sources into 1. Are there any selectors or switchboxes available? I know some recievers have 2 in/1 out, but being only 20 and out on my own, moeny can sometimes be scarce. =]
    I've got a US and Japanese PS2 that I want to hook up, and I'm not into the whole cable switcharoo thing.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Thomas

2. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I have yet to see an outboard component video switcher for the consumer market, but there are products available for the professional market that can do the job. The only downside here is the cost. Pro video is generally very expensive.
    Extron component video switcher

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I believe the extron is about $600-$800 bucks IIRC.

4. DanP

DanP Agent

A real cheap solution that works, and if you dont mind having to push a button (which beats disconnecting and reconnecting a bunch of wires) is simply to use a Radio Shack a/v selector switch for like 20 bucks.
    Where the inputs are yellow, red and white for composite video and left and right audio.. you just connect the Y, Pb, Pr to them instead.
    I used this to switch component High Definition signals from 2 STB's for quite awhile with no apparent resolution loss so what you want to do shouldnt be any problem.
    ------------------

5. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Wait a second here..
    You are 20 and looking for a cheap way to deal with this? [​IMG]
    Go buy a composite with stereo video game switcher.
    Use the left and Right audio ins and the composite in presto Chango you now have a super cheapo component switcher. Sure it might not have the bandwidth to do HD but for DVD video it should be fine. If you need to Audio to be switched buy a second one for the Audio and then you just make two button pushes to switch from one unit to the other.
    Cheap, I know Cheap and this is Cheap.
    [​IMG]
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs

6. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

7. MaxY

MaxY Guest

8. Thomas Toterhi

Whoa, thanks for the replies. I'll give them a shot. =] I used to live in Seffner, FL, btw, so we were neighbors, Max!
    So why do you think nobody has made any switchboxes? Is component just not that widely used or what?

9. MaxY

MaxY Guest

10. Thomas Toterhi

Hehe, well, I AM glad to be out! =] My dad got relocated to Ohio. ...Go figure.

11. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

LOL, this actually works? [​IMG] hmm....my PS2 may get to keep its component video afterall rather than switching down to SVHS. It was about to give up its slot on my receiver so that I could hook up the new Skyworth 1050P DVD player I was about to order. [​IMG]

12. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil