1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Component Video Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_SSS, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Steve_SSS

Steve_SSS Auditioning

I have a Panasonic PT-56WG80 HDTV which is a few years old. Unfortunately, it only has one set of component video inputs. These inputs can be used for the HD video input from the HD decoder or a progressive scan DVD player. I am currently considering buying a progressive scan DVD player and am wondering whether there is a device that will take two sets of component inputs and output one set so that I can have both a progressive scan DVD player and HD capability at the same time.

Thanks.

Steve

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

There are component vidio switches available...Some AV receivers also have component switches built into them...If you go that route make sure the receivers component switch can pass a minimum of 32 kmz which is needed to pass an HD signal without degragation

3. Steve_SSS

Steve_SSS Auditioning

Do you know where video switches can be purchased? I have looked a little on the net and have not been able to find any. My receiver does not have component video switching.

Thanks.

Steve

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Try a composite switcher out. Yeah, the A/V ones that run just over ten bucks. I don't have progressive player, but I do have two component inputs and there is no signal loss at all. Just save your receipt.

Glenn

5. Steve_SSS

Steve_SSS Auditioning

Glenn,

Where did you get the switcher from? Its output is component video?

Thanks.

Steve

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

People on this forum have reported good results using a Radio Shack A/V pushbutton switcher for component video. Use the yellow jack for Y, the red jack for Pr, and the white jack for Pb. Technically it's not designed for component video and a power cable passing nearby might distort the picture, but it costs only about USD 20.
    However never plug video cables into the red and white audio jacks of an A/V receiver.
    You should still use video grade cables, or in the case of progressive scan and HDTV, HDTV grade cables. The red and white lines of A/V cable sets have unpredictable quality for video purposes, you might get a good set or maybe you won't.
    If equipment or cables are marginal, problems or picture softening or ghosts will show up first with HDTV or progressive scan.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I was recently searching for the same thing. (My TV has 2 sets of component inputs, but I wanted 3.)

I bought a JVC JX-S111 5 x 2 A/V Selector with HD Component Video Switching from etronics.com for $75. It was the best deal I found, and so far (after about a week) it works great.

8. Steve_SSS

Steve_SSS Auditioning

Gabe,

That is a great price. The few component switchers I have seen so far on the net are $300 and up, (bettercables.com, extron.com). Does the JVC have the bandwidth to support HDTV without any degradation? I was told that for HD, that factor is critical? I assume that it has multiple component video in and at least one component video output.

Thanks.

Steve

9. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Make sure any component switcher is capable of handling 32kmz..Many AV receivers with component switches cannot handle HD signals without degragation

10. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

What I've read is that even some HDTV component connectors ON THE TV ITSELF don't handle above 30, which means it won't carry 1080i correctly anyways!

-ELmO

11. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I was concerned after reading the above posts that maybe I bought the wrong thing. (I didn't know anything about 32 kmz vs. 30 kmz vs. a billion kmz. It's all greek to me.) I finally got around to looking at the book from the JVC selector box. The "Video frequency response" is 30 MHz. Is "MHz" the same thing as "kmz"? If so, I wonder if I should see a difference in quality. (I don't. On the other hand, I had only been seeing HDTV for about 4 days before I got the box, so I wasn't really used to how it should look.)

12. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Gabe, you would be fine with that

13. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Mike said: