What's new

Component Video Question (1 Viewer)

Dan Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have my DVD player hooked up directly to my TV using a component video cable. Before I go out and buy a 2nd compenet video cable, what is the difference between the following connections:

1. Connecting the component video cable directly from my DVD player to my TV.

or

2. Connecting one component video cable from my DVD player to the receiver and then connecting another component video cable from the receiver to the TV.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
In connecting video through your receiver, you are just letting your receiver do video switching. This is helpful if you have a lot of things to connect to your TV, for instance, and not enough inputs. If your receiver has ample inputs, you can connect it via your receiver, and let it do the video switching. Some find this more convenient as well, as you don't have to switch inputs on your TV, another small step, as much. Lastly, SOME receivers may have an on-screen display that goes through component connection as well. Mine does not, it just goes through s-video and composite, so hooking up component isn't helpful in getting an on-screen display, plus everything is displayed on the front anyway, so i can do things that way.

Lastly, running video through a switcher, or, god forbid, a receiver with tons of electical stuff going on is prone to degrading the video. Many receivers don't have the quality switching and bandwidth to pass Hi-def signals, so if you have a really high-end video setup, purists would probably be averse to running video through a receiver. Likely you won't notice any difference at all, and if it is more convenient to run through your receiver do it. If it is NOT more convenient, then don't bother buying a second cable, and just go directly to your TV.

Hope that helps!:emoji_thumbsup:

John S

Senior HTF Member
If your running 480p video bandwidth probably won't be an issue, but if your running HDTV through it, consider 50mhz the lowest bandwidth to consider it with on any given receiever or pre/pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks