Component Video problem (DVD to TV)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianCasani, Dec 24, 2002.

1. BrianCasani

BrianCasani Auditioning

Ok, I'm having a problem with a new TV I purchased and no one I asked has been able to help, so I found this forum and it looks like you guys are my last resort.

I recently purchased a 32" JVC CRT Television (Model AV-32F703). Overall, I have no complaints, its a great TV that has a beautiful picture.

However, the problem occurs when I try to input my DVD through Component Video cables. The picture shows up, but its black, and wavy like a scambled cable channel. The DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS315/B.

First I'll run through the things I've checked/tried so far:

1) Made sure the cables were secure.

2) Made sure the cables were in the right plugs.

3) Made sure the TV was set to input through the Component Video jacks.

The other thing that was suggested to me was to make sure the DVD player was set to output through the Component Video jacks. I tried but couldn't find any menu or anything like that where I could tell the DVD that.

The DVD player works fine through the RCA jacks to the TV, but I had hoped to use Component video just to maximize the picture quality.

I suppose if this fails I'll return the Component video cable and give S-Video a try, but I'd really like to get the component video working if possible. Any suggestions you could give me would be appreciated.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If you have connected the correct Y/Pb/Pr outputs to their corresponding inputs on the JVC and the connections are secure, then that leaves three possibilities:

* The component output on the Sony player is faulty;

* The component input on the JVC display is faulty;

* or you have bad cables.

Locate another set of component-video cables and see if they work.

(Now, the Sony 315 is an interlaced-only player, correct?)

3. BrianCasani

BrianCasani Auditioning

If you mean as opposed to Progessive, then yes. I know that the TV won't work with Progressive DVD players.

I'll try returning the cables and getting another set after christmas. For the money you dump on them, one would hope they work, but maybe not. I'll play with it and see what I can do.

Thanks a lot for the advice, if I can't get the cables working, I guess I'll bump down to S-Video.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Hint: For troubleshooting in this case you can commandeer the RCA plug video cable from your VCR for the green (y) component video jacks and an audio cable set for the red and blue jacks. So long as the cables don't pass near power cables or speaker cables, and everything else is working OK, you should get a picture much better than you described so far. (Audio cables and cheap video cables won't prove anything when troubleshooting fine gradations in video quality defects)
    Also try connecting the green DVD player jack to the yellow TV jack, and nothing else. If applicable, set the player to interlaced mode. And in a separate test, connect the VCR to the green jack of the TV with the red and blue jacks empty. If you do not get a fine black and white picture in both cases, there is somethine dreadfully wrong.
    If the player is progressive scan, it should have a switch to choose interlaced video from its component jacks. Some HDTV sets require a manual selection to get choose progressive vs. interlaced vs. HDTV input from the component video jacks.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. BrianCasani

BrianCasani Auditioning

Thanks for the help, guys. There was a problem with the cables, I got everything all sorted out yesterday. The picture is beautiful.