What's new

Component Video Outputs through A/V Receiver (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I was just looking at a connections schematic from Monster Cable showing cable hook-ups for a DVD Player to a TV. They show the Component Video Cables going into and out of the A/V Receiver before going into the TV. Is there any good reason for doing this, as opposed to bypassing the A/V Receiver and going directly to the TV ???

I can only imagine that the longer length of cable and going through the A/V Receiver would tend to degrade the signal. This seems to just be a way for Monster to sell more cables ?!?!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
and going through the A/V Receiver would tend to degrade the signal.
Probably not an issue with most receivers for DVD signals, which don't require heavy duty bandwidth (at least compared to HDTV 1080i and 720p signals).

Some reasons for using the receiver:

+ More source equipment with component outs than the number of component inputs that the display supports.

+ Can sometimes get the receiver's On Screen Display (OSD) on the display (but this is not always supported by receivers on their component outputs).

+ Already have component cables that are not long enough to reach directly but can reach with an intermediate switching device and a couple of sets of smaller cables.

+ An extension of the above. If you have a display very far from the source equipment (e.g., a ceiling-mounted projector) and have multiple sources with component outputs, it may be too expensive to run multiple sets of cables to the display, even though the display may have enough component inputs for your video sources.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks