Component Video on Analog Sets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ralph Summa, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I've been shopping around for a 36" analog set for my Dad. I bought him a progressive DVD player but he's not ready for a digital TV yet. So he will watch in interlaced mode.

His DVD player has the ability to send out 480i over component connections, but does a component video connection offer any benefit over S-Video?

I swear that I read on the forum that the component signal gets converted back to S-Video anyway. I tried all combinations of the terms for searches but didn't have any luck finding the thread.

Ralph

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Composite gets turned into SVideo by the comb filter. Then SVideo is converted to Component by another filter.

Home Theater Magazine's numbers were:

Composite - baseline
    SVideo - 20% better picture than Composite
    Component - 25% better than Composite

But another member went to his bedroom system (something like a 25" tube) and for grins hooked up component cables in place of SVideo and saw a visible improvement.

My advice - go with component cables. The AR Pro2 cables are about $40 and work well for many people.

3. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

Amen, Bob.

4. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Thanks Bob,

That's what I need. I was surprised it was that noticable on an Analog TV. I'll be sure we pick out a TV with component inputs. I'll give him my extra set of AR Pro Series I cables.