What's new

Component Video on Analog Sets (1 Viewer)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I've been shopping around for a 36" analog set for my Dad. I bought him a progressive DVD player but he's not ready for a digital TV yet. So he will watch in interlaced mode.

His DVD player has the ability to send out 480i over component connections, but does a component video connection offer any benefit over S-Video?

I swear that I read on the forum that the component signal gets converted back to S-Video anyway. I tried all combinations of the terms for searches but didn't have any luck finding the thread.

Ralph

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Composite gets turned into SVideo by the comb filter. Then SVideo is converted to Component by another filter.

Home Theater Magazine's numbers were:

Composite - baseline
SVideo - 20% better picture than Composite
Component - 25% better than Composite

But another member went to his bedroom system (something like a 25" tube) and for grins hooked up component cables in place of SVideo and saw a visible improvement.

My advice - go with component cables. The AR Pro2 cables are about $40 and work well for many people.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Thanks Bob,

That's what I need. I was surprised it was that noticable on an Analog TV. I'll be sure we pick out a TV with component inputs. I'll give him my extra set of AR Pro Series I cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks