Component video = no improvement in picture

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Cole, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

I was expecting a big difference in picture quality when I switched to component video but no dice. The picture looks the same as it did before(which is great). When I start up a dvd I get a "DTV format 480i" text on the bottom of the screen.

What am I missing?

2. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Paul,

What DVD player are you using?

What display device are you using?

The improvement of component video compared to s-video can be subtle. It is primarily in the accuracy of the colors, not so much in picture resolution. For the difference to be immediately obvious, you need both a good DVD player and a display device that has been calibrated. (Avia and VE DVDs are a good place to start. If you have an expensive HDTV, investing in calibration by an ISF certified technician might be appropriate.)

The "Snell and Wilcox Zone Plate" on the "Video Essentials" DVD is one place where one can see an obvious difference. There's a color patch at the bottom center that is a sort of muddy brown when viewed using s-video, but is blue and green when viewed using component video. Unfortunately, with most movies you really don't know what colors to expect, so you won't notice the improvement.

I hope this helps a little.

3. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

Selden,

I have a Sony dvp-S360 dvd player and a Sony 61HS10 tv. I switched from RCA to component connections with no improvement...not s-video.

I have been looking around for the Avia and VE disc's but havn't had any luck in finding them.

Thanks for your help....you guy's kick ass.

4. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

You will see more of an improvement I think with a good progressive scan player. Also, the cables are not all equal. BetterCables.com makes the best I have seen. Better than Monsters top of the line IMHO.

Get your AVIA on Amazon, DVD Planet or other online provider. I got mine locally at Media Play, but it was the only copy they had, so they don't stock many.

5. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

You should clearly see a difference going from composite to component...Not as much from svid to component

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Yea but he's still runn'in an interlaced player too.... Go progressive, Go component.

- Chip

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As stated, if you don't recalibrate, you will not see much of a difference, since your settings are the same.... Yes, going from s-vid to component, the difference is minimal. I feel it was worth it though, for the added color depth.

8. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Paul,

Considering all cables are not created equal,especially when it comes to video. I think your choice of cables may be the reason you are not noticing an improvement. What brand cables are you using? I find it hard to believe that you switched from composite to component and didnt notice an improvement! Yikes,this should have been a significant, easily noticed jump in performance. Before I went the component cable route I went through s-video and the jump was like night and day. While I agree the step up from s-video to component is smaller it was still noticable to all who saw it.

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Unless he is pumping a progressive signal, his 61hs10's line doubler is what most affects the image he sees. Since his composite DVD video signal was already pretty clean, the TV's line doubled image of that and the TV's line doubled image from component signal will be similar. As Chip mentioned, if he was using a progressive DVD player and switched from composite to component, the improvement would be immediately noticable.

10. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

If John and Chip are correct then you should return your cables for a refund and stick with composite. It kinda proves the argument that cables dont make a difference, no? I still believe its your cable choice or something else. I noticed the improvemnt on numerous monitor types/brands both direct and RPTV. You should see a noticebale improvement whether you have progresive or not!

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Paul: try disabling DRC and see if you can see an improvement.

12. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

No offense, but the folks in this thread must be smoking something not available at the corner store. Even if you went from a $1000 composite connection to a "throw-away cable" component connection, the improvement over composite should still be VERY easily seen. Are you looking for the differences in complex moving scenes? It takes a slightly trained eye to easily see these differences. You should really look at static graphics, such as DVD menu screens. Look where different colors connect. The boundaries should be much cleaner with component. If you have access to color bars, use those. I switched the composite cable on my sister's DVD player to S-video while watching a DVD menu screen and her jaw nearly dropped. She couldn't believe all those crawling colors she had been watching could be eliminated. You see much less of an improvement going from S-video to component. Forget about all this "you need a progressive scan DVD player to see an imprvement" crap. I have the Sony 53HS10. I have tried several progressive players (including the Sony NS700p), and NONE made what I consider a big improvement. The picture was better, but VERY slightly. A trick you can do to is to switch the Sony TV's line doubler (a.k.a. DRC) from 960i to 480p (you can't turn OFF the DRC, although you do bypass it with a progressive scan DVD player or HiDef source). To switch the DRC to 480p, you'll need to access the service menu with a remote control and change a single item. To most easliy compare compsite to component, hook-up composite to video 4 and component to video 5 on your TV, and temporarily disable the other video inputs (you can't disable the tuner). You should then be able to watch the DVD menu graphics via composite, and then press the VIDEO INPUT button on the TV's remote to watch the same menu via component. I find switching DRC to 480p from 960i makes nearly as much improvement as going from composite to component (or even S-video).

13. KrisK

KrisK Extra

Paul,
    I have a Sony RPTV also, but with a Toshiba progressive scan DVD player. When I play the output in progressive mode, it shows "DTV format 480p" and in interlaced mode it shows "DTV format 480i". So I am pretty sure that your DVD player is still in interlaced mode. Look for a switch between the two modes in your DVD player.
    I see a drastic improvement with progressive scan - more film like, the interlaced image looked washed out once you are used to progressive scan.
    Hope this helps, Kris
    PS: Oops, read thru the thread in more detail & it looks like you don't have a progressive scan player. [​IMG] Maybe you can see if you can borrow one to check out the difference.

14. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Jim says:

15. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'm also using a Sony S360 and the difference is immense when I go to component video on my Tosh 65H80. I don't see the difference so much in color as in clarity. So a progressive player really shouldn't be necessary to see a significant improvement.

16. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

Hey guy's...again...thanks for all the help.
    I'm using RCA BRAND component cables. I paid roughly 20-25 bucks for a 6' set...whatever. The wife bought me an X-Box for Christmas so a new DVD player is out of the question[​IMG] .
    Also, I am not blind. The picture I am getting looks GREAT. It really does, I just was expecting more I guess...dunno.
    If any of you guy's live near Lindenhurst L.I. and like FREE BEER, fire me an e-mail and maybe you can stop by and see if I'm doing something wrong.
    Later,
    Paul

17. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Perhaps component video out of the s360 is junky. If you want, head over to radio shack, pick up an s-video cable, and make some comparisons between s and composite.

I mean, hell, you should see a pretty big difference.

Oh wait a minute...I bet you gotta adjust your TV a little. Turn sharpness way down, turn velocity scan off (VM on sony TVs), is there a warm mode? if so, start there. Shit, while you're out picking up an S-Video cable, head over to Best Buy and pick up AVIA...you need this disc to be content, especially on such a huge TV.