Component Video into 15-pin connector - help please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stasulos, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Stasulos

Stasulos Stunt Coordinator

Can anybody please point me in the right direction if this has been discussed or answer the question:

I understand that the shorter is the cable (any cable) - the better. But what is the maximum lenght of Component video cable that doesn't lead to image deterioration?

I've searched the forums and looked into the FAQ, but could not find anything.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Stasulos. Welcome to HTF!

The cable companies (Belden, Canare) typically roll out 100 feet of their coax and then show frequency-response curves (what comes out) for this length.

Basically, they brag about the performance of their coax along a 100 ft length.

So I would not worry too much about your home system if your cable length is under 100 ft.

Note: Several people around here have 30-40 foot runs to ceiling mounted projectors which blow the image to 80-100". This ammount of magnification really shows flaws & defects. So long as they buy good cables, the length is not a huge issue.

Hope this helps.

3. Stasulos

Bob, thanks for answering. 30-40 feets is exactly my problem. Any recommendation on a particular cable make?

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Stasulos,
    Thicker (lower gauge) coax is capable of carrying more information (bandwidth). For example, Canare's better wire is thicker and results in less loss over long runs. 30-40' is not considered a long run in pro-video applications. The format you are transmitting also matters. For example, RGB video uses a lot more bandwidth vs. component video.
    If you are driving an RPTV, I wouldn't worry too much about the cable. If you are driving a front projection system (RGB) a quality cable is a worthwhile investment. Canare and Belden are two companies that most pros use. You can build your own or buy products that use their cable. Make sure that you are getting a cable with proper 75ohm terminations as well. I use Canare V-5CFB with Canare RCAs and am pleased with the results.

5. Stasulos

I'm trying to put together a DVD and a projector via component video cable. The other thing is that the projector has DVI input (compatible with component), so I kinda need Component to DVI cable. Arghhh...I need more time to figure all that out...

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well... lets take a step back.
    Component video is analog.
    DVI is a digital specification.
    There is no such cable that will convert one to the other.
    Your projector likely has 1 set of jacks and some switch that lets you send either component or DVI signals to these jacks. Since I doubt you have a DVD player that outputs DVI - it's likely a feature you wont use for a while.
    The best cable for the money is to hit the custom web sites who will build you a cable using the Canare/Belden coax that the broadcast industry uses. Some sites to comparison shop are:
    www.bettercables.com (sells a silver-coated cable)
    www.wickedcables.com
    www.heartlandcables.com
    www.catcables.com
    www.bluejeanscables.com
    ebay (search for "Canare" to find Cable Solutions)
    These will all sell you good quality cables that can handle ordinary Component, Progressive or true HD video.
    Hope this helps.

7. Stasulos

Bob, thanks for your answers. Thing are starting to get clearer. The projector manual says it allows component video input capability. I've got component output on the DVD. The projector has DVI-I jacks, S-video etc.

Are you saying that I need a cable with Component and DVI(I) jacks?

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

9. Stasulos

I have these connectors:

RGB 15-pin HD, D-sub (loop through – output only)
    DVI Input High density 29-pin DVI-I
    Video RCA
    S-Video SVHS DIN Connector

But it says that the projector supports component video input (that's where I get confused as there is no component input).

The thing is that I want to use the component signal from the DVD, how do I do that?

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

My guess is that the projector will take Component through the RGB 15-pin connector.

I'm going to move this post to the "Display Devices" fourm where I think you will get someone more familar with this than I am to answer.

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

12. Todd Durham

Todd Durham Agent

I recently installed a mounted projector and purchased my rgb-component breakout cable from a2zcables.com. The prices weren't bad and the quality was excellent. I think I paid $90 for a 25 foot cable. Just fyi...if you are putting this thing on a ceiling mount run as many cables as your projector supports or think to the future. I ran my breakout, s-video, and an rca to the projector. Good luck.

13. Stasulos

My projector has RGB only as an output. So I guess I need this Component to DVI cable. Although the cable on the picture looks kinda of poor quality. I pobably need to search the net more.
    Thanks for your help everybody.

14. TimG

TimG Second Unit

It might help also to tell us what model of projector you have.

TimG

15. Stasulos

Viewsonic PJ350

16. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Viewsonic makes one for the PJ350, but I'm guessing they source it from Optoma as well.
    https://store.viewsonic.com/ibeCCtpS...&section=10025
    They don't tell you how long it is, but it's $24.99 plus shipping.
    The PJ350 is simply an Optoma EzPro 735 rebadged and with a different case color.
    Viewsonic PJ350:
    [​IMG]
    Optoma EzPro 735:
    [​IMG]

17. Stasulos

Viewsonic site doesn't allow you to order this cable, although it's listed. That was the problem. But Viewsonic projector is dramatically cheaper the the Optoma you mentioned. I wonder why?

18. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The street price of the EzPro 735 is $2200, and the cheapest I've seen the Dell version (3100MP) for is $1874.24 shipped. How much cheaper is the Viewsonic PJ350? If you got it new for less than $1875 shipped, you got a great deal.

19. Stasulos

The cheapest for Viewsonic I've seen was around 2600.

Where have you seen that DELL?

20. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The Dell is normally $2499, however, they almost always have free shipping and occassionally have coupons (some of which are stackable on top of each other) which give you upwards of 25% off.