component video imputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve.H, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Steve.H

Steve.H Auditioning

Hello people...Im looking to purchase an a/v receiver with as many component video imputs as possible but all i can find are those with 2 or some with 3, other than Yamahas flagship RX-Z9 with a whooping 6 imputs but its a bit to costly. Can anybody sugest other models Thanks Steve.H

2. Travis

Travis Second Unit

You have basically answered your own question, unfortunately. All of your midpriced receivers are going to have 2 to maybe 3. The Denon 3805 is one of the newer ones out there and it features 3. To get more you are going to have to step up in price. I know they make DVI switching units, I'm sure they do the same for component video as well, which might be a cheaper alternative.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Consider a external HDTV video switcher like described in This Thread: Inexpensive HDTV Video Switching

Keep in mind that for a reciever that has 6-7 different device inputs, the manufacturers will want to put in connections for all of these:

- L/R Analog Audio
    - Optical or coaxial audio
    - Composite Video
    - SVideo

So thats 6 jacks times 6 inputs: 36 separate jacks BEFORE adding component video connections.

The back of the receiver is already very crowded. Go for the external switcher.