What's new

Component Video Help - Please!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Zach Murez

Auditioning
Well I finally bought a new DVD player. I purchased a Samsung DVD-HD841. The plan was to use optical audio to my Sony receiver (STR-DE945) and component video to my Panasonic TV. I hooked it up and the TV picture is very red. If I pull the red cable out a little from the TV, the picture clears up. I suspect that I am breaking the connection. I am not sure what each component cable provides so I am having problems solving the issue. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Zach Murez

Auditioning
I might have figured it out. I think it is a
I-SCAN Vs. P-SCAN issue. I plugged the red cable all the way in and as expected the picture went very red. I then switched the SCAN mode and it looked like a normal picture. Is one scan mode better than the other?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Which "SCAN" were you using. I-SCAN is for normal viewing through either composite, S-Video or component with out progresive scan mode enabled on the player. P-Scan is for a component connection with progressive scan enabled on the player. You don't say if your TV is digital (HDTV or EDTV capable). This has a lot of bearing on which type of "SCAN" setting you use. If you have a plain old non digital TV, you can use the component connection, but only on the I-SCAN setting. I have this player hooked to my RCA HD RPTV via the DVI cable and have it set to P-SCAN.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Don't go solely by the colors of the video cable; make certain that the Panasonic's Y/Pb/Pr cables correspond with the same labels on the DVD player.

Zach Murez

Auditioning
My TV is not digital. It is a Panasonic CT-27D11E that was built Dec 2001. I had to set the DVD to I-SCAN in order to get a normal picture on the TV. The picture looks pretty good now.

What do I need to do about audio? I have the optical cable installed. If I want to play DVD-Audio, do I need the 6 Analog channels installed?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yes and no. Sometimes (usually), DVD-A includes either a DD stereo, DD 5.1 or DTS sound track in which case the digital connection would work just fine. If you want to exploit the Hi-Resolution sound of DVD-A or SACD discs, then yes, you need to hook up the 5.1 channel analog outputs on the player into the 5.1 channel analog inputs on your receiver.

Since your TV is not "digital" then you cannot use the progressive scan feature that component video allows on "digital" TVs. However, hooking up your player via your TVs component inputs will yield more vibrant colors and a slightly sharper picture than an S-Video or composite connection.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, if by not digital, you mean not an HD or even DTV, then it will not accept a progressive input.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
All "HDTV's" I know of accept progressive scan. Aside from that, if the TV instructions do not explicitly say the TV accepts progressive scan, assume the TV does not.

If you try to feed progressive scan video into a TV that does not accept progressive scan, the results will be unpredictable. Most likely you will see two side by side jittery, blurry, incorrectly colored (, and of course side squished) pictures. If you see that on a CRT TV, immediately turn off the TV or unplug the input. Damage to the TV can occur.

Unplugging a cable partially and having the results change for the better usually suggests a bad connection.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks