What's new

Component Video for Gaming? (1 Viewer)

Falcor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Presley
Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me figure a few things out. We recently completed our home theater/media room, and the guy that was sent to install everything for us, used S-Video output from the projector to the receiver. That means (if I'm not mistaken) I have to connect everything else with S-Video as well. However I keep hearing that Component Video would be better, both in quality and also that it works better with High Definition.

Now I'd like to hook up some video game systems to the receiver also, namely the X-Box 360. Would running some component video cables in place of the S Video really make much of a difference in the gaming experience? (Or any HD media in general?) I know xbox 360 games are made for HDTV's, I'm just unsure of how much more bang I'll get out of it. Will games that work on 720p and stuff like that, even work with an S Video cable?

My projector is the Sharp: XV-Z10000
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...,1005-,00.html

If that helps to clear anything up. The receiver only has 2 component inputs howver, so I would need to buy a switch if I decided to make this change from S-Video to Component. Which is why I'm asking here, as it would be a little bit of an expense, for an upgrade I'm not completely informed about.

Any info appreciated :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

S-Video can only carry a standard (non-HD) signal. If you only have S-Video running to the projector, and your projector is capable of HD, you will not get HD. The only thing that will transmit HD is component, DVI and HDMI - S-Vid does not cut it. So the answer is a resounding yes, you will see improvements if you go to component cables.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I would consider an upgrade. That being a new reciever/amp. and fire your install guy.
Component is going to be leaps and bounds above S-video. A lot of amps now will convert signals. So you can run just one Component cable to your Projector and run any type of signal to your amp. (you wont need all the extra wires to your projector. The exception to this is HDMI, you wont find an HDMI converting amp.
What is your amp? it may work if you don't need more than 2 component inputs. You would have to switch inputs on your projector if your amp doesn't switch, but it could work.

Falcor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Presley
Thanks for your responses, you've helped me clear a few things up now.

Sure, my receiver is a Pioneer VSX-53TX Elite. It only has 2 component inputs, but I figure if I need more in the future I can just buy a component switch. I'm not sure if it will convert video or not.. I've looked in the manuel trying to find if it does or not, but didnt come across anything. Guess I need to keep checking.

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Let me second the statement that you really need to fire your install guy and caution friends from using him in the future. If you're hooking up an HD capable projector and you're not using component (or DVI/HDMI) you don't know what you're doing. The only exception is if you both spoke about the issue and after being certain you understood the situation (e.g. you won't get an HD signal, you know the difference but are adapting to currently owned equipment, etc.) you tell him you want to use S-video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks