Component Video Connection Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Craig Dag, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Craig Dag

Craig Dag Auditioning

Hello all,

I have a brief question about connecting my DVD player to my new TV via a component video connection. Most of my equipment is dated, as I have a Kenwood VR-407 receiver from four or five years ago and I recently bought a Toshiba 27" 27A45 flat screen for my room. The TV and my DVD player (Pioneer DV-333) each support component video, but unfortunately, the receiver does not. As a result, I assume it's possible to connect my DVD player to my receiver for audio (using an optical connection) and the DVD player to the TV for the component video connection? All my other video and audio components will be connected to the receiver.

Additionally, I've never used component video and have always connected my DVD player to my receiver via S-Video cable. Is the difference between the two warrant buying component video cable? If so, can someone please point me in the direction of a decent cable? I don't need anything high end since this is only a 27" TV for my bedroom. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Craig,

You've got the audio connection question exactly correct. Audio to the receiver over the optical cable.

As for the other part, with that TV+DVD player combination I wouldn't bother with the component cable. Yes, in theory the video will be better but you're not dealing with high def video or progressive scan output from the DVD so I would bet the gain is likely to be invisible. On the other hand component cables don't have to be expensive so if you get the itch to try it go for it. Lots of sources for cables but here's a couple:

www.hififorless.com
    www.cablesforless.com
    www.partsexpress.com
    www.bluejeanscable.com

3. Craig Dag

Craig Dag Auditioning

Thanks for the assistance!

A 3' component video cable can be had for only about $10 at one of the sites you suggested, but if the difference is truly that negligable, I suppose there's no point. [​IMG] Thanks again.

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Well there's a point if your the really curious type or from Missouri (The Show Me State!) [​IMG] Seriously, there might be a difference but if you like what you see then I'd lose no sleep over it.