What's new

component video cables (1 Viewer)

Dan Sloane

Grip
This is the best place I know to get info on HT, bar none. What I need to know is How Long can Component video cables be and if they make them for a reasonable price, I need 50' cables otherwise I will continue to run my tv off s-video?

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Purchase some good standard coax cable maybe RG6 and place on some RCA
termination, this works just fine.
Just make three of them and your good to go.
50' is not a problem.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter

Yes better than S-video, component video cable is nothing more than 75 ohm cable. It will work just fine and they are cheap to make.
You may want to do a search here and at AVS forums to see how many others also use these for long and short runs.
This same coax can be used also for digital audio.;)Again it's 75 ohm cable.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, they are component cables. When you're talking 50 feet, it's a good idea to get either something made with either an RG59 or an RG6, the latter having a slightly larger center conductor. RG59 and RG6 are generic terms if you will and many of the video cables that you'll see in the magazines or on the web will actually be using one or the other but just give it some fancy sounding name like Ultra Super Lightpipe. With this name generally comes a higher price. I think that's because it sounds cooler than Belden whatever.
As to whether the component will look better than the svideo I'll simply state that there is an improvement but IMO it's not monumental.
The forum sponsor, BJ Cables, actually has very competitive pricing and just as one point of comparison, you can contrast their prices with say avcable.com. I'd consider contacting them for some guidance here as depending upon how you're going to run the cable, flexibility considerations, one type may work to greater advantage than another.

Dan Sloane

Grip
Well I already ran RG6U cables from the auto ctrl rm to the TV area. I ran 2 bundled cables each containing 2xRG6u + 2xcat5e +1xfiber. I also ran an extra RG6u cable and 2 empty blue smurf tubes to run anything else thru later like S-video. So, I should be able to put RCA jacks on them and WahLah! correct? With your guys great assistance I am starting to believe I can finish this project. Thanks

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you're ok provided those RG6 cables have copper center conductors and not copper over steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks