Component Video Cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherBer, Dec 24, 2002.

1. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

This is my first post. I own a Bose Acoustimass 15 Series I hooked on to a Onkyo TX-SR500 reciever. Last week I was at my local Sears and I saw component video cables for $14 , I want to know if these cables are worth it? I currently use a S-Video Cable. Thanks[​IMG]

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I would say its all relative to your desire to get the best out of your system. Component Video is better than S-Video as a form of signal transmission. For $14, why not? That is actually a very cheap component cable, comparatively speaking. For what it's worth, my component cables cost over $400[​IMG]http://www.transparentcable.com/prod...ent_video.html After all, your entire system is only as good as the weakest link.
    Check this thread.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...769#post652769
    In the case of some TVs, the diference is small, or not worth the hassle. For my dad, I hooked his system up with all S-video. That way, when switching from Satellite, VCR, or DVD, he does not have to change the input on his tv.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Chris. Welcome to HTF!

You really need to tell us what brand the cables were for us to judge.

A lot of people like the Acoustic Research brand of cables. The Pro series is great for many systems and even smaller HD televisions. And Sears does sell these. They normally run about $40 for a 6 ft run which is a very good price. If you could get a 'broken-package' set for $14, I'd go for it.

I am a little confused... you tell us about your AUDIO components, but ask a question about VIDEO cables? Whats up with that?!?

Bose is not very popular around here for a variety of reasons. If this was the only way your spouse would let you install a system - well fine. But I would not introduce yourself this way. You are not your equipment!

4. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

I'm just a newbie, so take what I say lightly --

I ended up getting less expensive component cables for my setup (actually they were AR). However, my TV is only a 27" model, so I thought that plain, non crazy component would be good enough.

If it were a 50" monster, maybe getting crazier cables would be a consideration. So IMO the size of your display is also a factor -- what is glaringly obvious on a bigger screen may be invisible on a smaller one.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

6. ChristopherBer

The cables were Acoustic Research and no Bob McElfresh, I made the decision, I am not married. I'll go for it then.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The best Radio Shack component-video cables are surprisingly good. I'm using a set for my 27-inch bedroom system, and the images look beautiful (and considerably better than they did when using an S-video cable). My thinking is if your television/monitor has Y/PbPr connections, use them!

8. ChristopherBer

Okay I got the cables and I kept switching between S-Video and Component on my TV and cannot notice a diffrence! Why?[​IMG] Do I need to clear my eyes?

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ok, Home Theater magazine compared all 3 video hook up types on a reference 50" RPTV and came up with these numbers:

Composite: baseline
    SVideo: 20% improvement over Composite
    Component: 25% improvement over Composite

So there is only about a 5% difference going from SVideo to Composite. It does take a good eye to notice the difference.

Try this: fire up the Avia or Video Essentials DVD. Put up one of the test patterns with very fine lines and freeze the display. Now do your A/B comparison test. You should see a bit more detail with the component feed vs the SVideo.

If you do one of the color-pattern tests and focus on the intersection of constrasting colors, you might also see that the definition is better and the colors a bit more solid with component.

Dont try playing a favorite movie and doing the A/B comparison. Things are moving too fast. If you dont have Avia/VE, take a favorite movie with lots of bright colors (Toy Story, Austin Powers) and freeze the frame. Now toggle back and forth to look for a difference.