Component Vid Switching help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Todd Smigelski, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski Stunt Coordinator

Guys,
    I'm new to comp vid switching.

Why does it bring the audio signal with it? i.e. Why can't I watch a HD football telecast on my HD STB and listen to a dvd or CD at the sametime?

Am i missing something here?

Literally, my big screen video feed goes blank when i try to listen to a cd.

Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

Because your using your AVR to switch it, video goes with audio. Some may have this feature eventually, but right now, that is how most of them work.

To solve this, there would have to be two completely independent switching sections, one for video and one for audio. They just don't work this way currently.

The solution is to hook video directly to your display from all your soruces.

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Just to echo John's comments -- everything is working as designed for the way you have it hooked up. You'll lose some simplicity but gain some flexibility if you hook all the video sources to the TV and hook all the audio to the receiver, which is what he suggested. The advantage is that this makes the selection of audio independent of video because you select video on the TV and audio on the receiver.

4. Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Dick and John, I understand independant selections of audio and video as this is what everyone (and I) have been doing for years. I was hoping i was missing a simple step with my new reciever ala some kind of audio "override" button.

OK, What i don't understand is who would want such a restrictive hookup (component switching) that doesnt allow your tv / display to even be ON while listening to a CD, concert dvd etc ??? especially when your hosting parties.

Why cant the HD football game be on with Christmas music?

Excuse the rant but I guess i just dont get it.

The idea of only one set of cables going to your display device is indeed great, but what a price to pay!

5. John S

John S Producer

Because Audio goes along with video.
    I think it is a low percentage desired functionality.

And there are ways around it, without building it into the AVR as in only use it to switch your audio, not video.

You could also hook a CD player up to like the corresponding analog input for the video connection as well.... [​IMG]

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Todd,
    If you switch from a video source to an audio source (i.e., a source that does not have an accompanying video signal), some receivers might keep the video on the screen. My older Yamaha does this; don’t know how it is with late model gear, but you might try it.

Try switching from the STB to say, the tuner. If you still have a picture, you might be in business. If that’s the case, and if you play your CDs on your DVD player, and if you’re only using the DVD player’s digital output, try sending the player’s analog L/R jacks to an audio-only input, like CD. Then you can switch to CD after the STB input has been selected. You’ll only be able to listen in stereo or Dolby Pro Logic, not Dolby Digital, but it’s better than nothing.

Something else just occurred to me. If your DVD player has dual digital outputs (some have both coax and optical) you could try the above, but sending the second digital signal to the CD input. I haven’t tried it, but it might work.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

That's how I've had mine hooked up with both a Toshiba DVD and the new Denon (AVR is a Denon 2802). Works fine and allows me to set the audio mode for a CD different from a DVD. In fact the DVD is hooked to the AVR 3 ways, both digital outputs and the 5.1 6-connector path for SACD/DVD-A.

8. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I have a Sony 5.1 receiver/amp that works the way Wayne and Dick have described. I also have an old Sony ES unit that has a true "overide" that allows any video source with any audio source. Unfortunately it is Pro-Logic II only with no digital decoder.