Component to XGA Converter?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Hank_Wheeler, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Hank_Wheeler

Hank_Wheeler Auditioning

My native XGA projector works best when being fed an XGA (1024x768 - progressive) signal from a PC. I want to have my Set Top Box (YCbCr - interlaced component) output connected to the PC (XGA - progressive) input of my projector.

I am wondering what is the best method to convert a component input (interlaced) to XGA (1024x768 - progressive) output. I understand that there are different ways of doing this, line doubling, de-interlacing or transcoding. What is the best method and how much would a simple converter cost? All I need is a small box (low cost?) that inputs the 3 x RCA (component - PAL) input, does the clever conversion, and outputs the XGA signal (via a VGA connector). Is there such a device?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You need de-interlacing (480i to 480p NTSC or 576i to 576p PAL), scaling (480p/576p to 768p for XGA) and transcoding (Y/Cb/Cr or Y/Pb/Pr to RGBHV for XGA).

I don't know of any inexpensive small boxes, but a Lumagen Vison (USD 1000.) will do it all including autoselecting incoming NTSC or PAL.

It appears to me that most people who need 480i to XGA conversion have a PC with various cards inside that processes the video and their DVD player, etc. are plugged into that PC.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/review4.htm

3. Hank_Wheeler

Hank_Wheeler Auditioning

Thanks for the info ... USD1000 is outside of my budget ... I believe that de-interlacing will give me the largest PQ improvement for my projector ... do you know if there is a low cost box that will convert 576i (3xRCA YPbPr) to 576p (3xRCA YPbPr)?