What's new

Component to XGA Converter? (1 Viewer)

Hank_Wheeler

Auditioning
My native XGA projector works best when being fed an XGA (1024x768 - progressive) signal from a PC. I want to have my Set Top Box (YCbCr - interlaced component) output connected to the PC (XGA - progressive) input of my projector.

I am wondering what is the best method to convert a component input (interlaced) to XGA (1024x768 - progressive) output. I understand that there are different ways of doing this, line doubling, de-interlacing or transcoding. What is the best method and how much would a simple converter cost? All I need is a small box (low cost?) that inputs the 3 x RCA (component - PAL) input, does the clever conversion, and outputs the XGA signal (via a VGA connector). Is there such a device?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You need de-interlacing (480i to 480p NTSC or 576i to 576p PAL), scaling (480p/576p to 768p for XGA) and transcoding (Y/Cb/Cr or Y/Pb/Pr to RGBHV for XGA).

I don't know of any inexpensive small boxes, but a Lumagen Vison (USD 1000.) will do it all including autoselecting incoming NTSC or PAL.

It appears to me that most people who need 480i to XGA conversion have a PC with various cards inside that processes the video and their DVD player, etc. are plugged into that PC.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/review4.htm

Hank_Wheeler

Auditioning
Thanks for the info ... USD1000 is outside of my budget ... I believe that de-interlacing will give me the largest PQ improvement for my projector ... do you know if there is a low cost box that will convert 576i (3xRCA YPbPr) to 576p (3xRCA YPbPr)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks