Component To VGA cable

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jimi C, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Probably a silly question, but i just want to be sure before i purchase.

I have a Front Projector with VGA in. I want to hook up my DVD player via Component out, is this as simple as just buying a cable with component on one end and vga on the other or is there more required. I ask because, in the manual for my projector it shows them plugging in a "conversion adaptor BNC Pin" to the dvd player then followed by the component to vga cable.

So, please, tell me what i need to buy in order to make this work. I was planning on buying the cable from Ebay, but if you can link me to a place with a good price, that would be helpful. I need a 25ft Cable.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Jim

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

So the only way to do this is to buy one of these $100 transcoders? I want to convert Component to VGA, Not VGA to Component. I still need to buy one of these?

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Yes, Most projectors "VGA In" will also take a component input. You will need to check your projectors specs for the exact details. Any of the populer cable places will sell you an appropriate cable. My first choice would be forum sponser:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com

5. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Im sorry, but im still confused, I dont need to buy a transcoder?
    I would love to buy my cable from a forum sponsor, unfortunatly Blue Jeans is a little too (way too) pricey for me, Ill probably just pick up a cable from Ebay. What I really need to know is if i need anything else in addition to the cable. I am still unsure on this.
    The inputs are labled "Computer In (Y/Pb/Pr)"

I Have 7 days left on my return policy, if this requires a $200 adaptor id just as soon return it and buy a better projecter with component and digital inputs.

6. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

You can buy a component-VGA adapter from Infocus for under $10, I use the same one for the projector.

Brent

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Projectors may have a soft switch where they will accept either RGBHV (component RGB and sync, also called VGA) in the HD-15 pin connector, or may be selectable to take Y/Pr/Pb; also called component video, as provided via your DVD player.

From how you describe the input, it sounds like all you need is a cable that looks something like a 'pony-tail'" one end has the HD-15 VGA connector, the other end has 3-5 RCA, BNC, or related ends.

Leo Kerr

9. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

10. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Well, I got that converter/switcher today. Its complete junk. So, im going to attempt to return it and get my money back. (will see how well that works) I guess i'll just try the cable like Leo suggested. Hopefully it will work, because theres no returning this projector anymore.

11. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Heres the diagram from the manual. I guess i still need another adaptor. Could somebody please explain to me what the "monitor cable mini D-sub 15p BNC" is?

[​IMG]

Oh, and heres a screenshot of the fifth element on the pj via PC. I would just use my pc all the time but it isnt convenient and big picture plus sound from computer speakers isnt satisfying.
    [​IMG]

12. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

It's (insert language of choice poorly translated to English here) simply a cable that has a HD-15 (high density, 15 pin "D" connector - that is, standard VGA) at one end, and 5 BNC connectors at the other end.

Leo

13. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

So, its just an overly complicated and confusing way of telling me i need a cable with vga at one and and component at the other? Why the hell didnt it just say that. It could have saved me $80 and 2 weeks of pain. Stupid manual. Thanks Leo.

Jim

14. DougRuss

15. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

umm, i dont know.. It shows one with 5 but 2 are unused. Do i need one with 5 or 3?

16. DougRuss

If your running the Audio Out of your DVD Player to a Receiver,then you only need the one with 3 connectors then

17. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

18. DougRuss

That should do it for you!!

Good Luck and let us know how it works out for you!

19. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Actually, they don't carry audio at all on an HD-15 video connector; the other two wires would be for component sync signals (the HV in RGBHV.) Component video generally carries the sync on the Y signal.

But yes, in your case, you should only need the three-cable version.

Leo

20. DougRuss

Thanks Leo.... I didn't know that. I thought it was for an Audio Signal? * Me Bad !! [​IMG]