Component to RGB?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John M Miller, Aug 7, 2005.

1. John M Miller

John M Miller Stunt Coordinator

I've just gotten my first big screen TV: a Pioneer Elite Pro-520. I absolutely love it! Problem is, it only has two component video connections. However, it does have an RGB input (that does accept HD signals). I've got an Xbox, HDTV tuner and DVD player, none of which has a RGB output. So I'm one short.

So is there any such thing as a cable that converts a component signal to an RGB connection? Does anyone have a suggestion for one in the $15-$40 range? Or should I just buy one of those external component video selector boxes since my Outlaw 1050 doesn't have one? Thanks in advance!

2. John M Miller

3. KurtBJC

KurtBJC Agent

Generally, if there's an input labeled "RGB," it's not going to accept component (Y/Pb/Pr) video unless the manual specifically references that it will. You'd want to see something that indicates that that specific input is able to accept it, and how that information would appear in the manual is hard to predict. It often appears in the "specifications" table even if it isn't referenced elsewhere. "Component" may be referred to as "YUV" or "Y/Pb/Pr". Is there a .pdf of the manual available online? If you can point me to it, I can look it up and let you know.

Kurt

4. John M Miller

5. KurtBJC

KurtBJC Agent

If that's all it says about that input in the manual, then it won't take a component video signal; as it indicates, it's set up for RGBHV, which is typical for a 15-pin plug, so you're right--a 15-pin to 3 RCA cable isn't going to do it for you. Your best bet would be to use a switch to allow you to run more than one component source into one of your component inputs.

Kurt

6. John M Miller

Thanks for the input, Kurt! Oh well...

7. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

You could get a component to RGB transcoder. Might be a bit pricey for what you want to do with it though...

8. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

Yeah, Key Digital has a nice transcoder- the CTCA-3 I believe...It's going to run you $250-$300 but it does a tremendous job...