What's new

Component to HDMI converters (1 Viewer)

Justaconsumer

Auditioning
Real Name
Gus
Just purchased an Epson TW 5600 projector to replace a failed TW5600 which was quite old. My Rotel theatre setup is likewise old, no HDMI outputs. Purchased a converter, not a cheapie, but cannot get picture, no matter what I tried so far. The manual states “Equipment and cables must be HDMI CEC otherwise projector cannot be operated. I managed to get picture using the Chromecast plugged directly into the port, but that bypasses the the pre/power amp sorround sound and connectivity of connected devices to it. And, sound is only from the tinny projector speakers. Has anyone solved the problem of having to move to current technology from older AV equipment ?
Any solutions, suggestions would be very welcome !
Thanks very much.
Gus

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sounds like you're trying to hack a way to work around HDMI signals. At a guess, you've got two immediate options:
  • Using old sources, you can use the VGA input on the projector
  • With new sources, connect with HDMI, and use the mini-jack output to send stereo sound to your audio system. If it's got Dolby Pro Logic IIx or newer, it will do a decent job of faking surround sound
Has anyone solved the problem of having to move to current technology from older AV equipment ?

But if your home theater gear predates HDMI, it's pretty old, and the real answer is to upgrade it to something from the past ten years that has HDMI.

Justaconsumer

Auditioning
Real Name
Gus
Sounds like you're trying to hack a way to work around HDMI signals. At a guess, you've got two immediate options:
  • Using old sources, you can use the VGA input on the projector
  • With new sources, connect with HDMI, and use the mini-jack output to send stereo sound to your audio system. If it's got Dolby Pro Logic IIx or newer, it will do a decent job of faking surround sound

But if your home theater gear predates HDMI, it's pretty old, and the real answer is to upgrade it to something from the past ten years that has HDMI.
Thanks Dave,
I am beginning to accept having to upgrade the lovely old Rotel gear.....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know, the easiest solution seems kind of obvious to me, unless I'm missing something.

You need a player with an hdmi output as well as an digital audio output. I'm guessing the Rotel has digital audio inputs, but you didn't provide specifics. Connect the hdmi from the player to the projector and the digital audio to the Rotel. If you have multiple video components, you can use an hdmi switch, but it will get messy.

A newer receiver with hdmi will always solve all the problems.

Justaconsumer

Auditioning
Real Name
Gus
I don't know, the easiest solution seems kind of obvious to me, unless I'm missing something.

You need a player with an hdmi output as well as an digital audio output. I'm guessing the Rotel has digital audio inputs, but you didn't provide specifics. Connect the hdmi from the player to the projector and the digital audio to the Rotel. If you have multiple video components, you can use an hdmi switch, but it will get messy.

A newer receiver with hdmi will always solve all the problems.
Hi John,
Thank you for the reply. I guess my post was not specific, unclear. The new Epson projector displays "No Signal". The Rotel doesn't have HDMI outputs, only Component. I thought a converter which takes the RGB cables, outputs a HDMI signal will fix the connection issue, but it doesn't, no picture. I know the projector HDMI inputs work, because I tried them with the Comcast. In the PJ manual there is a statement about compatible HDMI sources, which must be HDMI CEC compliant, without which the "projector operations are not possible". The converter I purchased, the cables also, do not mention this mysterious ( to me at least!) CEC
requirement. A search comes up with it being Consumer Electronics Control, as applies to remote operations. I guess I am trying to avoid trashing the Rotel for a newer device which has all the outputs.
Thanks again,
Gus

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hi John,
Thank you for the reply. I guess my post was not specific, unclear. The new Epson projector displays "No Signal". The Rotel doesn't have HDMI outputs, only Component. I thought a converter which takes the RGB cables, outputs a HDMI signal will fix the connection issue, but it doesn't, no picture. I know the projector HDMI inputs work, because I tried them with the Comcast. In the PJ manual there is a statement about compatible HDMI sources, which must be HDMI CEC compliant, without which the "projector operations are not possible". The converter I purchased, the cables also, do not mention this mysterious ( to me at least!) CEC
requirement. A search comes up with it being Consumer Electronics Control, as applies to remote operations. I guess I am trying to avoid trashing the Rotel for a newer device which has all the outputs.
Thanks again,
Gus
Did you read my suggested solution? Can you explain why it won't work?

Justaconsumer

Auditioning
Real Name
Gus
Hi John,
I think you are addressing the audio problem, but maybe I misunderstand that. I do not have HDMI output from the source, only Component. Hence, no picture using a Component to HDMI converter. "No Source" message.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks