Component to Coxial to Component?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KyleL, Jan 23, 2005.

1. KyleL

KyleL Auditioning

Hello,

I had someone draw up this picture. Basically my Dish box in the den has a component video out that I would like to hook up to my LCD in the kitchen, but I have no way of running the component vido cable to the LCD box. I want to know if there are any component video senders/receivers that work over coxial cable (the yellow link in the picture)?

Thank you,
    Kyle

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

The short answer is: Yes, it would be possible, but the cost of such equipment would be very prohibitive. Basically you'd be in the realm of professional broadcasting equipment, if you could even find it.

The good news is that there are other ways of getting what you want, depending on circumstances. First, realize that "coaxial" is just a type of cable, and a type which is used for many different purposes. Indeed most component cables are made of 3 coax cables. So the simple solution for you is to run 3 high quality coax cables (Belden 1694A would be a good and relatively inexpensive choice) from your source is to your TV. If you're unfamiliar with making your own cables for such purposes, it's fairly simple, and you can visit the DIY forum for lots of info.

If you prediciment is that you can't run new cables, but have an existing run of coax, then there's no perfect solution. The easy thing to do would be to just use that run of coax for composite video.

Of course you'd still need to get the audio over there somehow. Normally that'd be another 2 runs of coax. If you can't run more cables of component video, I'd assume you also can't run them for audio.

I assume that since this is a kitchen TV top quality isn't the highest priority. If that's the case why not just use the RF output of your dish reciever?

Hope this helps,
    -- Dave

3. KyleL

KyleL Auditioning

David,

Thank you for the reply.

That is correct that I can run no cables to or from the box besides the ones that are already there.

I am currently running it over coxial now to the tv, but it is blurry, and it is not taking any advantage of the tv. It is a 30" aqueous HDTV in the kitchen, so I would like to get HD to it.

I have digtal HD cable in the house as well. I could rent another box for 7 dollars a month, but really dont want to just for a kitchen tv.

Do you know if you can buy a digital cable box somewhere that is compatiable with TWC?

Thanks, Kyle

4. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I see your problem. If you can't run any new cables then you don't have much in the way of options. I'd suggest figuring out some way of running some cables to the kitchen. It's pretty cheap and easy, the only problem being finding a route for the cables to go (say, through the basement). Of course that's not always possible, but if you're creative there's often a way...

Sorry, I have no experience with that, so I can't really help out there. If you post a specific thread in the A/V sources forum someone should be able to give you some info. I think I have heard of people buying cable boxes, so you might be in luck, but I'm sure the specifics vary by cable provider.

Good luck!
    -- Dave

5. Jason=R

Jason=R Auditioning

Do you happen to have any cat5 cable already installed? Maybe for phone or computer that you could hijack? You can run HD component over cat5 with the right adapters.