Component to Composite

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChadF, Feb 19, 2004.

1. ChadF

ChadF Extra

Here is my dilemma. I have a 46" Phillips Magnavox projection tv (1997). It only has composite video connections (no s-video or component). I have an Xbox with the HD pack (component video and optical audio). I want to take advantage of the optical audio so that I can play games in surround sound, but I don't have any component video connections. Is there anything out there that will convert a component connection into a composite?? I am currently using the standard composite connection cable (composite video and L/R audio) that came with the Xbox, but I don't have digital audio. Just looking for a cheap solution until I can upgrade to a tv with component connections.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

What about prologic surround from the analog audio output?

Likely looking at a higher end A/V receiver that up and downconverts all signal inputs. But if you can get this, then you wouldn't need to ask your question ... [​IMG]

Regards

3. John S

John S Producer

Time to start thinking about an HDTV perhaps????

Sell your 46" while you can still get some decent money for it. I sold my 46" GE recently, using the same logic.

I don't think there is an easy solution for you here.

4. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy sells a component video switcher box for $99 in their video games section. It has component/composite/s-video inputs and outputs, but I don't know for sure whether it will convert one format to another. Perhaps the BB website can tell you more (sorry, I don't know the manufacturer name).

5. ChadF

ChadF Extra

Michael - Yes, I can get prologic surround with the standard analog connection that comes with the Xbox. It is definitely better than just stereo, but after listening to a game in 5.1 it is hard for my ears to get excited listening to prologic. As with all electronic goodies, once you've gone to the next level it is hard to step back down.

John - An HDTV is definitely on the want list. I am currently saving up to buy my first house and there just isn't much room in the budget for home theater upgrades right now. I could probably already have a house if I hadn't spent so much on electronics already, but then again I'd be living in a house with a 13" black and white tv and that would just be wrong. [​IMG]

Nick - I was just at the Best Buy website and I found out that the Xbox has another connection pack called the Advanced AV pack. Instead of component connections like the HD pack has, it has S-video. It also has digital audio out, but from the picture it looks like it may have a composite video connection as well. If that is the case I'll just buy that for $20 and I'd have my composite video connection and digital audio, which is exactly what I was looking for. I'll hold onto the HD pack for when I upgrade my tv. I'm going to Best Buy today to check it out, I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions!

6. ChadF

ChadF Extra

The Advanced AV pack does have a composite video connection as well as digital audio. Retails in the store for $20. I found one on Ebay for $12, which will work out perfectly.