Component-to-Cat5 Wall Plate?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by andrew_taylor, Nov 23, 2005.

1. andrew_taylor

andrew_taylor Auditioning

I know I've seen somewhere recently at wall plate that converts component video to Cat5 for easier distribution. I thought it was on OnQ-Legrand's website, but I can't find it again. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Insulation and sheetrock are happening next week, and I'm running out of time to finish this project...

Thanks in advance!

2. Michael.Hoffman

Could you be talking about the wall plate from Audio Authority. I believe it lets you plug in component video and digital audio and then converts them so you can run them over 2 cat 5e wires. Hope this helps some.

Mike

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I've seen that ad as well in WSR. Big bucks, though. I believe it's not just the wall plates that are involved. There is a distribution block that is part of the system. It looks to be intended for larger installations. I was looking at a some really nice wall plates at RAM. They are able to make custom ones as well but they use standard cable. CAT-5 on its own is probably not robust enough to carry component signals and retain any measure of quality.