What's new

Component Switching... (1 Viewer)

Andre F

Screenwriter
I have a little bit of a dilemma regarding my HT setup and my videogames. Since we are planning to upgrade our HT furniture I decided it was time to hook up my PS2 and Gamecube via component cables (as opposed to S-Video). The problem is that I have only one component input on my TV. So I believe the answer is to purchase a component switcher like the JVC JX-S111 5 x 2 A/V Selector with HD Component Video Switching for $75.00 at etronics. I'm wondering if this unit is any good and I certainly don't want to degrade my DVD player hook up. Does anyone have similar problems? Any other creative ideas out there?
-Andre F

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
This has been discussed a few times.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=68019
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=31885
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=27825
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&threadid=116
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=52534
My Sony VVega KV-36FS12 also only has one component input, and I used the composite switchbox hack mentioned in several of those threads. Going that route has not caused any visible degredation in the DVD signal quality, though admittedly I'm only using a 480i television. With 480p, your mileage may vary....

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Here's another Wega owner with one component input and several component sources. I did multiple tests with a $20 S-video/composite switcher and there was absolutely no signal degradation at all. Keep in mind this was with 480i sources though. I think you start to see the difference at 720p and 1080i, but not at 480p.

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind this was with 480i sources though. I think you start to see the difference at 720p and 1080i, but not at 480p.
I wonder if any testing has been done on the $20 composite switchers at the 720 and 1080 line levels. I'd be interested to see their results.

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks James,

I have a Terk switcher that should have enough bandwith for a component signal to pass through. My only problem now is my non p/s DVD player and my 480p capable XBox. I need more HD inputs to truly test this baby out.

I'm thinking about the Panny RP62 to replace the DVD player, so the DVD player will do the "progressing" rather than my Hitachi 32UDX10S.

Andre F

Screenwriter
So I guess I know have a new question. Since I have a Sony Wega like some of the others in this thread and it is not HD, should I even bother? I already have both the PS2 and Gamecube hooked up through an S-Video switcher. The picture seems good to me. However, I thought if I used all component cables and ran through the JVC switcher I would get a better overall picture. From what I've read in other threads it seems that 1) the JVC switcher can't handle the signal as good as a "straight" connection and 2) it is probably not worth the money (about $140 total with the switcher and the component cables) because my Wega will not display the picture any better because it is not HD. With tha being said I would hate to degrade my DVD (hooked up via component connection straight to my Wega) in doing something like this. So what do you think, should I bother?
-Andre F
[Edit]
It seems like the best way to do this is too have a receiver that handles component switching. For me that would mean I would have to buy a new receiver and the wife will have none of that...:D

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
Now I got an entirely different opinion from reading that thread, so I would be interested to hear more of your reasoning.

I read that the difference between a straight component connection and through a splitter was minimal. (This only is the case when the splitter is passive)

The point that I agree with is your assessment of the costs involved with moving in the direction of a component splitter. If you substitute a $15 passive composite splitter for the JVC version that you mentioned, then the costs are cut in half.

I'd to hear how much of a drop off a S-Video hookup would have compared to a component. To me I'd like hear whether the costs of component (and switcher) are that much better than any benefits of S-Video.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Jon,
Here is a quote listed from one of the threads listed by Adam.
Not to rain on the JVC parade but, in speaking with Jason at Onecall.com I've learned that the JVC 111 switch doesn't have the bandwidth necessary to switch high definition signals. It maybe no better than the old radio shack composite switcher.
Here is the thread.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=31885
Based on that I'm not sure I want to waste the money for little or no gain. I wonder if I do spend the money, how much of a difference it would be from S-Video to Component.
Since I already have an S-Video splitter and both consoles hooked up through it I don't see a reason to upgrade unless the quality is really there. To think I was all set to do this upgrade before this post...it pays to check with HTF members. :)
-Andre F

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for letting me hear your side on this, Andre

I've learned that the JVC 111 switch doesn't have the bandwidth necessary to switch high definition signals. It maybe no better than the old radio shack composite switcher.
I think what the real question here is, how much bandwith is needed for high def signals. I understood that component cables operate somewhere in the 30-40 mhz range, which would obviously allow for it to be used through a Radio Shack/Terk spitter. If that is not the case, then I think that your set up may be the way to go...

Hopefully, someone can join in here and shed some light on this topic...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I own both the JVC switchbox and one of the $20 Sony switchboxes. There is no performance difference on my XBR400. The JVC just looks nicer in my rack.

If all you're going to pass through these devices is 480p I wouldn't worry about the mhz debate. These boxes easily pass 480p info. I have no experience going any higher as I don't yet have any HD sources.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Camp,
Based on your experience, do you think the upgrade from S-video to Component through the JVC swicthbox would be worth the upgrade price ($140 with a PS2 and GCN component cable + the actual price of the JVC switchbox)? I'd hate to spend the money if it's not worth it.
-Andre F

WilliamZ

Agent
I'm in the same boat as Andre

1) Component input on my JVC 32D502
2) A butt load of s-videos on my Denon 2801
3) DVD Player is hooked up directly to tv via component
4) Xbox and everything else is s-video

Main Question is the $100 expense to buy a component switch box and cables worth it?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Andre,

Will your Wega do 480p? If not I seen no reason in the expense. My eyes see a minute difference between Svideo and component on some 480i material.

If you can do 480p then I think the upgrade is (for me) worth it. Don't expect a night & day difference but the lack of scan lines and clarity is very nice.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
My apologies if this is repitition from the other great advice here, I would suggest running the primary DVD playback component directly through your single component input on the back of your television, then using a simple $20 switcher with s-video for the rest of your gaming consoles. That way, you get a slightly brighter and more colorful signal for your gaming, but the color accuracy on DVD movies (important even with 36" 480i) stays true.

That's my game plan, and it's very workable. Then again, keep in mind that I don't have an XBR, a progressive of HD signal whatsoever. I'm just sitting at plain ole 480i with a simple anamorphic squeeze, nothing too fancy.

-J

Andre F

Screenwriter
My apologies if this is repitition from the other great advice here, I would suggest running the primary DVD playback component directly through your single component input on the back of your television, then using a simple $20 switcher with s-video for the rest of your gaming consoles. That way, you get a slightly brighter and more colorful signal for your gaming, but the color accuracy on DVD movies (important even with 36" 480i) stays true.
I'm starting to lean this way as well (especially since I already have this set up right now). If I was going to see a big difference then I'd happily spend the money.
-Andre F

WilliamZ

Agent
I'm considering picking up a xbox component connection off of ebay for $10 just to see if there is a difference between s-video and component on my 32 inch tv.

worst case scenario is $10 bucks down the drain

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I sold my old H/K avr 45 receiver on Ebay for $175 and bought the new Pioneer VSX-D811s (mainly for the component switching and could not be happier :) Works AWESOME and notice no PQ loss on my Progressive DVD playback!

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I just picked up the $30 S-video switcher from Best Buy today, and it works great for switching component signals. I noticed no degredation in quality on my ISF calibrated Tosh 40x81 16:9 RPTV. Only used it for 480p though, so I don't know how it would work for HDTV. But for Xbox and Gamecube it works perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks