Component switching using A/V switch boxes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FahnonB, Feb 13, 2003.

1. FahnonB

FahnonB Extra

I've heard that you can use a simple $20 A/V switch box for component video switching. Has anyone tried this? If you have was there any signal degradation (visible to the naked eye)? I don't like the idea of paying >$200 for the component switcher I've settled on... Thanks

Fahnon

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I use it, and it works fine, with no signal degradation. However, get a better made unit that costs like $40 bucks (I use the Sony). The reason I suggest it, is that this is a mechanical switch that you will be pressing. You want a unit that won't break on you, and where you will get clean switches (i.e., not sticky).

Hope this helps.

3. FahnonB

FahnonB Extra

Thanks. That does help. What model of Sony do you have?

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I bought the Pelikan switchbox that has jacks for five devices. I believe it cost 30.00. I have no complaints and the switches are solid. Just be sure you keep track of the color coding if you ever unplug them.

5. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

cameron. you talking about the one with the tabs that say PS2 DVD XBOX etc..... Walmart had them? I tried it with component and it didnt work for me???

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Guys, while a cheap L/R/Video switch box from Radio Shack WILL work, it's not really designed for video, let alone Progressive or HD video signals.

Some facts: audio tops out at about 22 Khz and this is so slow, the cable/switch impedence is not a major issue.

Component video tops out at 4 Million hz and is much more sensitive to cable impedence. This is why all video cables are specified to be made with 75 ohm coax.

Progressive video tops out at about 13 million hz

1080 HD Video tops out at 35 million hz.

So using a cheap L/R/Video switch box for component/progressive/HD video is like trying to drive a race car along a mountain road. Sure you can do it, but the road is really not built with race-car speeds in mind.

If you are on a budget, they do work. But dont let "..I could not see any problems" make you think there is no difference.

(Hint: try the fine-line test pattern from Avia or Video essentials with/without the switch box. If your display is bigger than about 40" the difference can start to be visible.)

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Thanks for the information. As I have a standard 4:3 the difference is not noticeable.

Dave - yes, it's the one from Wal-Mart with the tabs. Either you had a faulty one or you had the jacks mismatched with the plugs. Whenever I have to reconnect I rarely get it right the first time.