What's new

component switching threw reciever? Or DVD directly to TV? (1 Viewer)

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
I'm unclear of the benifits/drawbacks of hooking my dvd player to my reciever,then to my tv. Currently i am running my component video directly from my dvd player to my tv. What is the benifit of running it through my reciever first?.
Thanks
Curt

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
run it directly unless you have a reason or reasons to consolidate at the receiver.

reasons you would consolidate at the receiver would be things like like too many components needing to be connected to the TV, not enough of a particular type of input on the TV, or maybe a desire to simplify things remote-wise.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So long as the bandwidth of your receiver is 3x that of what your DVD or any other source connected to it then I wouldn't worry about any signal degradation. You can check the manual for that spec and compare it to your sources. For example, many entry level receivers have a 50 mHz bandwidth and regular DVD barely pushes 5 mHz. There are many purists that insist upon direct connections. Why they'll even look at remote controls as proof that the devil exists and is out there corrupting audio and video. OTOH, there's much to be said for taking one's system and integrating it smoothly with all the other components through one device. You picks yer side, draws yer line in the sand, and defends yer choice to the death.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you only have the one component connection, then going through the receiver is adding one extra cable and nothing more. "Switching" implies you have multiple sources to switch via a single connection, in which case you now have a benefit by connecting it this way.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
The only real reason to use the reciever to do the switching is if you have more devices that have component out than you have inputs in your TV/Video source.

For example, my projector only has 1 component video input but I have 4 devices that have component out (X-Box, PS-2, DVD, Satelite TV). For this reason, I run all the sources into my receiver and have only one component out going into the projector.

Hope this helps.

JB

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Let's bring up an important point which is being glossed over here.

It's pretty much impossible to calibrate one video input for Progressive dvd, Xbox/PS2 (interlace or higher), HDTV etc.

This would be a reason to not switch through your receiver. As for the lack of convenience in setting up each separately, one could simply design macros on their remote to make up for the extra button pushing.

It kind of depends on how "purist" one wants to be.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Adil brings up a good point. My TV has multiple settings that can be applied regardless of input selected. I still prefer direct to the display though, providing you have enough inputs for your devices. Do you really need to use component video for video games? c'mon...:D

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for their input. As i only have the one component i will leave it directly connected to my tv.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

To be honest, since my A/V upconverts to component, my X-Box and PS-2 both are on S-Video to the A/V while both my DVD and Satelite feed are component to the A/V. From the A/V, I have a 30' Component Video cable running to the projector.

It all depends on the number of inputs to your video monitor/projector.

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks